Stihl 066 poly flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyturtle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdee
i just toasted my 064 cylinder and piston (the wrist pin retainer clip came off somehow) so i am piecing togher a 066 with the newer crankshaft and well i am almost finished. the one last piece of the puzzle that appears to be non existant is the plastic flywheel. How is it that only a few years of the old style crank produced so many aluminum flywheels but many years of the new style there impossiable to find. Whats the deal any help locating one would be grand
thanks Ed

Often when looking for old parts, you have to wait a while for one to come along.

I have one with half the fins broken off where the brake handle bushing fell out of position when I had the starter off. When I cranked up the saw, it wiped out some fins.

Dang...I seriously tossed one (mostly whole saw ) in the dumpster at work. It was a 066 that had a white plastic vein flywheel. I had sold it on E-bay for parts and the guy threw a fit that it wasn't perfect so he threw a fit and E-bay gave him his money back.:bang:

i did not check with the dealer it list for $178 i am sure they have plenty. i was looking to spend around 50 for a used one. i have checked with several repair shops in the area and ebay. i have an uncle in michigan where i get most of my parts and he has 2 partsaws 066 and neither have a flywheel. its crazy

Wow ridiculous they want that much. You guy's sure the old flywheel's will work? How are the saw's balanced externally? Are the crank's the same weight, and balance. If not may be a problem.

OP,,,
I have several Send me a PM

Wow ridiculous they want that much. You guy's sure the old flywheel's will work? How are the saw's balanced externally? Are the crank's the same weight, and balance. If not may be a problem.

All of the poly flywwheels will work on the big stub end late model cranks,,, will not work on the small stubend early model cranks that take the metal flywheel

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the old metal flywheels will fit on the bigger crankshaft?

Re read post # 11:rock:

excerptrd from post # 11

"All of the poly flywwheels will work on the big stub end late model cranks,,, will not work on the small stubend early model cranks that take the metal flywheel"

Last edited:
Thanks that saves me from an expensive trial and error purchase.

Does anyone happen to know where I might find an an 066 bottom end with the smaller crankshaft that isn't fried? Does anyone rebuild cranks/bearings for fun and/or beer money?

Does anyone have a picture of the poly flywheel? This has captured my attention.

Here's a picture of one sawn in two.

41007d1165191544-dsc_3787-medium-jpg

41008d1165191561-dsc_3788-medium-jpg

41005d1165191505-dsc_3784-medium-jpg

Thank you, very interesting. Any reason this isn't used more often?

Latest posts

Back