Stihl 066 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a difference in the muffler like Mike said. If it's a flat top saw and no dual port it's probably just the regular version. That series is so old it's hard to know what you have until you open it up and find out.

Stickers in this case, AFIK. As Mike indicated a dual port muff may have warranted a sticker... There were several diff 066 versions but bore and stroke remained the same.

In some of the older saws "Magnum" would often indicate the biggest bore and last of a series eg 056 52mm, 056 super 54mm, 056 mag 56mm also 038 48mm, 038 super 50mm, 038 mag 52mm.

Gotcha , thanks guys its being shipped non running without a top cover I'll vac and pressure test and see what I can do to it , piston and cylinder are oem in great shape apparently

Gotcha , thanks guys its being shipped non running without a top cover I'll vac and pressure test and see what I can do to it , piston and cylinder are oem in great shape apparently
Tbh there just a sticker saying there 70ccs and up . nothing more nothing less . they just look cool . if it dosent have one don't loss sleep over it .

ok I got the saw today , long day at work , a quick compression test gets me 95 psi ( horrible I know ) I removed the muffler and looked at the cylinder , piston looks perfect , the cylinder on the carb side has a few streaks but not horrible. what should I do ? take the cylinder off and take a better look and possible do new rings and try to clean up the little streaks ?

ill vac and pressure test it this weekend , no time this week to do it .

another thing , I noticed the flywheel is aluminum , I called stihl and they said the serial number date makes it a 1997 , I thought they went to all poly flywheels in 1996 ?

im a little confused now

It can be diference in carb( jet )but that was diference in europe. Also the type of muffler.

Before you take it down make sure you do the vacuum test as stated. This way you may be able to pin point the problem. As for the piston I would look into the meteor kit with caber f cast rings.I just bought a piston from www.weedeaterman.com for $49 for a 066 I'm building. You can get them cheaper on Ebay but weedeaterman is a site sponsor through @watsonr and I would rather give back to the community then save 5 dollars.

Sorry reread your posts and noticed you said your piston was in good shape. Since that is the case just OEM or the caber f cast rings if everything else comes back good. I think they are $14 or so.

What about the aluminum flywheel on a 1997 066 ? Didn't they all get switched to poly in 96 or some still made with aluminum in 97 ? Serial number starts with 1333

Brad have the f cast been cracking or something? Just wondering what the issues are is all or its it just personal opinion.

i haven't gotten that far yet , I took the cylinder off tonight , cylinder looks great inside , still see the cross hatching on the inside , the piston looks ok a few light scuffs on the sides of it but nothing major , I took the piston off and rotated the crank around a bunch by hand , it was nice and smooth , I tried pulling up and down and there is no play so I assume the crank bearings are ok ? what is the acceptable piston ring end gap ? seems like there is quite the gap on these rings , possibly the reason for the low compression ?

ill post a few pictures , you guys let me know if you would put a new meteor piston in it , or just put new caber rings in it .

ill let you know about the flywheel keyway thing tomorrow night .

Latest posts

Back