stihl 066 rebuild. W/pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2: I'll second that, the 2 066 BB and the Dolmar 84cc BB Cylinders have recently been great quality. Although on the pistons, its best to use the OEM, original (assuming its still good) wrist pin. The bevels ground onto the aftermarket pin ends are way too tapered and can wedge themselves past the circlips (OEM circlips too!) jamming itself into the transfer port, causing a seizure, from both me and the saw, LOL. :crazy1:

:agree2: I'll second that, the 2 066 BB and the Dolmar 84cc BB Cylinders have recently been great quality. Although on the pistons, its best to use the OEM, original (assuming its still good) wrist pin. The bevels ground onto the aftermarket pin ends are way too tapered and can wedge themselves past the circlips (OEM circlips too!) jamming itself into the transfer port, causing a seizure, from both me and the saw, LOL. :crazy1:

thanks for the replies. I may try the baileys kit but figured id see if anyone had one to get rid of. I gotta check the funds as well i may have to sell this saw down the road. :cry:

Finnaly!!!

Ok so i have some time this week to get going on this saw. I took a bunch of pictures.

Ill order a baileys BB kit tonight. I'm most likely going to sell this saw when I'm done due to the need for money. Not sure if i should have it ported?

The saw is getting full mechanical and fresh powder coat, plastics will also be freshened up.

flywheel and clutch removed

CIMG2111.jpg

CIMG2112.jpg

CIMG2113.jpg

CIMG2114.jpg

tap seal in a bit and used the lesli to pull it, worked perfect for the clutch side. Flywheel size I broke the ground down tooth... i pulled it after i split the case.

CIMG2115.jpg

Splitting case.

CIMG2116.jpg

CIMG2117.jpg

CIMG2118.jpg

use block with crank cutout to press crank out.

CIMG2119.jpg

pressed out clutch side bearing with press and socket.
Both case halves striped of all hardware and bushings.

CIMG2120.jpg

Covered the priceless metal decal and chain break decal. Ill repaint the black line then clear coat it or polish it, not sure yet.

CIMG2121.jpg

covered the in beded decals or whatever you want to call them.

CIMG2122.jpg

Last edited:
Removed origonal shop tag and magnum sticker

CIMG2123.jpg

Bucket O parts, crankcase halves, starter cover, various other dirty parts.
Hot water and purple power long soak. Best solution iv found, better then dishwasher/ partswahser to.

CIMG2124.jpg

Ill hopefully sandblast everything tomorrow and maybe start powdering.

Plastics will get a light blasting as well unless i find a better way like polishing.

I'm most likely going to sell this saw when I'm done due to the need for money. Not sure if i should have it ported?
The BB comes with pretty aggressive -- and decently finished -- porting, only small gains to be found with conventional woods port techniques. I just WP'd my own BB, but I wouldn't pay someone to do it.

Thanks for the pics. :clap: Let's see if it'll let me rep you.

Last edited:
The BB comes with pretty aggressive -- and decently finished -- porting, only small gains to be found with conventional woods port techniques. I just WP'd my own BB, but I wouldn't pay someone to do it.

Thanks for the pics. :clap: Let's see if it'll let me rep you.

good info, i guess i wont have it ported. Porting just is int my game i'm heavy handed and am better of staying away from it.

Ill have to start filling my baileys cart.

Going well Matt, really well indeed.

Why should you invest so much effort and invest on a BB kit if you intend to sell the saw later on?

I say keep the saw. You'll see money will show up later.

Got a good amount done today.

cleaned parts

CIMG2125.jpg

CIMG2126.jpg

prep for blasting

CIMG2127.jpg

CIMG2128.jpg

Ready to go

CIMG2129.jpg

And then the camera dies... i didn't completely strip the cases like last time, way to much time for no reason. Powder can cover over old clean powder. I got all the lose stuff and then some, only the solid stuff stayed.

Ready to powder, vice hold the oven trays, best option iv found so far. Idk why i used saw horses with a table that has legs? :dizzy: to many fumes...

CIMG2130.jpg

clutch side

CIMG2131.jpg

CIMG2132.jpg

Prepping the cases for paint sucks, hardest and most boring par of saw rebuilding.

flywheel side i hit this twice since it didn't cover great the first time, key is to let it flow out for around 10min the second time or you will have a duller finish witch looks fine if you do it to both sides.

done

CIMG2133.jpg

CIMG2134.jpg

CIMG2135.jpg

CIMG2136.jpg

CIMG2137.jpg

you can see some flaws in the magnesium near the cylinder base.

CIMG2138.jpg

CIMG2139.jpg

Starter cover

CIMG2140.jpg

CIMG2141.jpg

CIMG2142.jpg

Sandblasted these parts lightly then wet sanded with 600. Get all the baked on pine sap and crap off the handle.

CIMG2143.jpg

Last edited:
i hope your saw when back together will run longer than my dads , he didnt paint it , he over hauled the 066 , i dropped only 2 trees with it's ,the piston is scored all ready dont know why , he said he's done with it, he cut a lot of tree's over the years with it. i dont know what we will do with it ?

i hope your saw when back together will run longer than my dads , he didnt paint it , he over hauled the 066 , i dropped only 2 trees with it's ,the piston is scored all ready dont know why , he said he's done with it, he cut a lot of tree's over the years with it. i dont know what we will do with it ?

did you have oil in the gas? let me know what you want for it in a pm.

i just knew someone would ask that, yes just mixed up a new 2 gal. with the stihl synthetic oil it was the first time i used it .

i just knew someone would ask that, yes just mixed up a new 2 gal. with the stihl synthetic oil it was the first time i used it .

was it running lean? did you tune it after rebuild?

Latest posts

Back