stihl 066 rebuild. W/pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy Evan, I can't wait to see and hear how it does!?:chainsaw:
I picked up an 066 from another member here and it runs great, but my 064 will out do it hands down! Now I don't know is my 064 was pumped up, or if the 066 is getting tired?
I just think someday I may want to re-build the 066 like Matt here...however, I don't have a sand blaster or an airless painter?:dizzy:
Awesome job Matt, keep the pic's coming!:clap:

My sandblaster is a poor mans blaster the thread is floating around somewhere ill get the link. Cost $100. I'm pretty happy with it!

i tthink i just used 800 or 1000 auto paper and wet sanded it enough to rough the surface then 3 coats of krylon clear. its actualy holding up realy well. kinda coverd in sap and dust now but still looks good
_MG_7158.jpg

i have no plans to clean it this season, i just blow it off with the compressor clean the filter then were good to go again

Last edited:
Finally got some more work done on the saw yesterday. Would have gotten more done but didn't have a piston bearing :bang: and started working on other things but i got a good amount done.

Heated the cases to 300 for 20 min and put the bearings in. then pulled the crank to clutch side and then flywheel side on. Everything went smooth.

CIMG2148.jpg

CIMG2149.jpg

CIMG2150.jpg

CIMG2151.jpg

CIMG2152.jpg

CIMG2153.jpg

Got the crank seals in as well, rebuilt the carb and cleaned up the clutch and put new springs on.

CIMG2154.jpg

Flywheel on and coil, put all the av mmounts on and put the starter back together.

What kind of paint could i use to paint the stihl name and line?

CIMG2155.jpg

CIMG2156.jpg

CIMG2157.jpg

Use black sharpie marker for the Stihl logo and line. Easy to touch up, and looks great. Easy to get a nice edge on it also.

matt, i was reading your post on the 064,looks great.is there a way to get the clutch side bearing from a good parts house? also can you buy sthil paint in a can or spray.thanks kenny

Rebuild

Fellows, Thinking of putting a Bailey's BB kit in a MS66 and would like to know if there was any mods needed or if it just bolted right up, also why did you not use the pin and clips that came with the kit?

Fellows, Thinking of putting a Bailey's BB kit in a MS66 and would like to know if there was any mods needed or if it just bolted right up, also why did you not use the pin and clips that came with the kit?

MS660? should fit baileys has a list of models it will fit.

The pin an clips were fine but if herd some of them have taper and could cause problems so i ordered stihl ones.

Iv been so busy haven't touched the saw. I got the tank and handle on that's about it and the p&c is kinda on. Ill get pictures when i get back to it.

Been a while, got a few small things done today.
Got the chain break mec back together and clutch on. Also re-sanded the air filter cover and clear coated it. kept it in the oven at 170 came out fairly well probably work better if i wet sanded in between but it is a work saw and just wanted to make it a bit better.

I forgot how to post pictures comp has been a rare thing lately. :bang:

CIMG2213.jpg

CIMG2214.jpg

CIMG2215.jpg

CIMG2216.jpg

CIMG2217.jpg

I owe Evan a huge thanks he did my muffler for me. did a great job to!!

im guna give it a fresh coat of paint while im at it

CIMG2220.jpg

CIMG2218.jpg

CIMG2219.jpg

You want to practice some more sandblasting and painting a case on a 440? I'll pay shipping to and from.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hope to do something with my 440 this spring but not to this extent.

Your saw is looking great. Thanks for the pics to show your work.

Back