Stihl 066 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aufdy's lawn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a scrap pile saw, and decided it'd be a good project for me. I have the cylinder off the crank case. I was hoping for the best, but the piston is done for. It actually kind of looks like someone tore it apart, put fresh rings on it, and honed the cylinder. I started to clean the exhaust port up because of the amount of carbon built up on it. The cylinder can probably be saved, but I want tips on what to do to clean it up. There's some spots in it that will catch your nail, but I can't see any aluminum built up on it. I don't want to get a new cylinder if I don't have to. The only reason I thought maybe it has been honed is because of the little, hardly noticable lines going sideways in it.15126153101031593945844.jpg KIMG0352.JPG KIMG0351.JPG KIMG0350.JPG

Search on here for mastermind cylinder salvage, he has some videos on this. You sand with emery cloth and/or scotchbrite until the transfer is gone. If a finger nail will hang up on it you have more sanding to do. If you do not have any gouges usually you can salvage the cylinder. Chainsaws usually seem too wear through the cylinder plating before they become " out of round" but you could check that with a dial indictor if you have access to something like that. Nicks and scratches in the plating will still run. I like to use a dental pick on the transfer so I can feel if it's transfer, a nick or just carbon smearing. You can hand sand the transfer it just takes more time. Good luck

It looked like there is transfer around the exhaust port but should clean up well. The rest of the cylinder looks pretty good.
Like @tug said do a little research on Madterminds cylinder cleaning technique and you can’t go wrong. I believe you can search YouTube and find his videos also. Randy does a very good job of explaining.
Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back