stihl 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffrockhall

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just bought a 066, and it seems like the bar is dry, i have the oil pump on it turned up to max and still running dry. its getting oil but not alot. what happen to saws that also had the manuel pump on it if you needed extra oil.......

jeffrockhall said:
just bought a 066, and it seems like the bar is dry, i have the oil pump on it turned up to max and still running dry. its getting oil but not alot. what happen to saws that also had the manuel pump on it if you needed extra oil.......
I had the same problem on my 064. Remove the bar start the engine and see if oil is coming out the oil delivery orifice for the bar, if not then the hose from the pump is rotted and needs to be replaced (like mine).
Also, you should make sure the bar is clean and oil orifice is open and the grove is clean as well. :Eye:

carburetor rebulding kit

does anyone have carburetor rebulding kit for a 480 husqvarna chain saw i need one very bad or i need sugestion where to get one it only can be in baker city, john day, or Ontairo Orgeon

melvinhatcher said:
the hose from the pump is rotted and needs to be replaced.

066s don't have a hose. All the oil passages are cast into the crankcase.

Still, blow through the lines, make sure the vent isn't blocked. It's located right in the bar mount area. Run the saw and see if oiling improves when you loosen the oil cap. That would tell you the vent is clogged.

Chris B.

I must admit my 066 doesn't use enough oil either, since new has been the same, turned it up full etc and it does come out just not much.

I've checked all the maint issues but nothing wrong.

You'll do a full tank of fuel and only half a tank of oil, I reckon they had a batch of crappy oil pumps.

Which reminds me, one day I might just put a new oil pump in.

But I don't use it that much, my 046 gets a regular workout though.

My 066 will use almost a full tank of oil to a full tank of fuel. The other one I had got it off ebay and it had a burned up oil pump in it. THat guy was such a crook.

DanManofStihl said:
My 066 will use almost a full tank of oil to a full tank of fuel. The other one I had got it off ebay and it had a burned up oil pump in it. THat guy was such a crook.
:Eye: My 064 uses a tank of bar oil to a tank of fuel. :Eye:
I just have to be careful that the oil the oil pump is pumping is getting on the chain. That was the problem with the 064 when I got it from my father. The chain was running dry and burning up, the oil pump was pumping the tank dry per tank of fuel, oil was dripping out the bottom of saw but, no oil on the chain.
Pulled the saw apart and replaced the oil line and now it oils like a champ.

Use the search feature, I believe Dennis Cahoon or Tom Fales posted some pictures of curing that problem. It's a simple fix.

you would think taking the saw out of the box that maybe the saw would be right, i bought 2 of them both the same way. grant it they have 30" bars on them, i could see them being a little dry, but to almost seize up the chain not good............

Latest posts

Back