Stihl 070 will not run now. Any ideas please help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohioclimber82

Reaction score
Hello members my name is Rick. I just purchased a minty stihl 070 that was hardly ever used and paid alot to get it. I had the saw for 2 days and it ran like brand new. Not kidding this is a gem. Went to work and the boys got it out and knocked it off the front porch. It fell 3-5 feet and landed in a flower bed of soft dirt. No damage to the case or any parts I see. The saw will not start now. The plug is still good and gets great spark. Its getting fuel in the cylinder. The on-off switch still works. I removed the muffler and its all good. Compression is perfect and the piston moves as it should. The saw is getting fuel and I put a new plug in and still nothing? Nothing seems to be loose or broken. I have spent the last 2 nights trying to fix it and Im at my wits end. Im sick about this as I really love my new saw!! Anyone have any ideas please write me. I dont like to take my saws to the shop as it always cost me 300-500 to fix and make run! Its 40-60 in parts and 400 in labor. Thanks for any ideas you might have. Im an old semi retired tree man in Ohio. Rick

are the carbs settings and/or choke/gashandle things not bend and/or offset? Sometimes a small but on the ground at the wrong angle can make stupid damages. I once had a ruptured carb on a 020 so it sucked falls air. (dropped about 12 feet) Had some problems with those carb<->engine rubbers leaking. And one time a cranckcase sealing malfunction or so that stationairy running wasnt possible. it can be a hell of a search but small thing that might be the problem.

how much fuel is it getting now , could it be the needle is stuck open in the carb now and it is flooding plus check to see where the speed governor is now cause it hooks to the choke on the carb to slow it down , maybe it has been stuck closed from the fall

is the saw getting good spark?? it could be just a coincidence and maybe the fall had nothing to do with the saw not running? check the points and condensor. my 090 quit running for no reason, i filed and sanded the points and problem solved. i was in a pinch so i used my chain file and 80 grit, but it worked.

sorry, i dont read well, i see you said it is getting great spark, so its not the points. thats a head scratcher for sure. good luck.

it sounds like it might not be getting fuel. you need to try replacing the fuel lines, and rebuilding the carb. that should help some, if not all the problem you're having.

Don't worry, Rick! You'll get it! Sounds like some little thing got bopped in the fall. Look at it this way, you will know your saw inside and out once you find the little booger!!

Latest posts

Back