Stihl 08s smoking like crazy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc_man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Working on stihl 08. Got it running good but it smokes like crazy and not just a little, it looked like i had a fire in my backyard. Any ideas as to why. I thought mabe bar oil getring into case but oil resivour is seporate from the saw. I had it on a peice of plywood running and had a black oil spot 8 inchs round.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Maybe the valves need to be timed. Lol
Could be that chainoil is leaking into the crankcase due to a faulty gasket.
Was thinking that too (not the valves lol)but the oil resivoir isnt part of the saw. Its part of tje chain guard. I havt really looked to see how the oil system works. Thats my next step. These saws were also cement saws too from what i understand.

I once had an O8S, but don't remember much about it. It used to be a popular rental saw in its day.
Someone more knowledgable will chime in for you soon.
Hope so lol then i might know what to look for.

Its not chainoil, as the tank is in the barcover and not the crankcase.

But as you describe, this might be a new saw for you?

Some take good care of there saws, and when they know they dont need a saw for a long time, they put oil in the crankcase to help the crank and bearings to not rust.
But i have had the same case with a o8S, it had been stored for a long time and the fuel in the carb and engine has damped and left the oil. When the saw was startet up again it smoke like hel for 15 min.
After that it helped, but it did still smoke. I adjustet the carb a bit more lean and the smoke stopped.

But before you lean out the carb, make shure all oil is burned off!!

I wondered that too about fogging it too but figured smoke would clear after a few min. Will fire up in am and let fun a while

the 08 has the same kind of governor system as an 090 IIRC. the choke closes a bit to prevent overrevving without a load on the saw. last 08 i got smoked like crazy too but it was because it had been sitting for years and decided as a joke i'd try start it. it fired right up on the old stale varnished fuel. was mixed with a regular 30w oil. man was it smoky. a guy could have been pouring oil down the intake of a vehicle while revving the thing 6 grand and i swear it wouldn't be as smokey as that 08 was.

I finally got time to try that 08 today. I ran 3/4 of a tank through it but it was stihl so smoky i couldnt see nor think straight. Other then the smoke it seems to run quite well. You guys have any idea what it could be. I know it has some choke thing that that engages at high revs to prevent over reving it. Not sure if that could be it. But i dont think it would smoke like that even with the choke on.

Its not chainoil, as the tank is in the barcover and not the crankcase.

But as you describe, this might be a new saw for you?

Some take good care of there saws, and when they know they dont need a saw for a long time, they put oil in the crankcase to help the crank and bearings to not rust.
But i have had the same case with a o8S, it had been stored for a long time and the fuel in the carb and engine has damped and left the oil. When the saw was startet up again it smoke like hel for 15 min.
After that it helped, but it did still smoke. I adjustet the carb a bit more lean and the smoke stopped.

But before you lean out the carb, make shure all oil is burned off!!
I run in this problem to.

Just put a carb kit in the 08 and it stihl wont draw fuel to carb. Will run if ya squirt fuel in carb. Noticed fuel vent tube has a split. I thought it should still draw fuel up with splitt vent tube. Whats your thoughts. Vent tube is just peace of tube with a screw thing in end.

d37895df306941bc1df38ae5c071601d.jpg

Heres a pic of vent.

Carbon/oil build up in the muffler finally burning off after all these years.

Rich oil/fuel ratio

Very rich carb settings

Any of the above.....all I can think of at the moment. Other than that.....IDK. I burn at ratios richer than most here and have no issues with smoke.

Chainbrake engaged? Haha if the side of the saw is on fire but seems to be "running good", I bet that's it.;)

Back