Stihl 090 Availability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It's not like I am going to buy one, but is the 090 available anywhere?
What are the chances of getting a new one or a mint used one?

You'll be paying an arm and a leg for one in even decent condition...
Plus you got all those fakes out there... so you gotta know your stuff

You'll be paying an arm and a leg for one in even decent condition...
Plus you got all those fakes out there... so you gotta know your stuff
When were they discontinued?
Are they still available outside the U.S.?

I was told by Stihl during a inquiry trying to age one of mine that they were manufactured from 1968-1984. When I got that information I was not specifically told that was worldwide as opposed to just the US and I've heard rumblings that they were sold in south America (and maybe Australia) later than that. Of course, being available for sale and being manufactured are two very different things; perhaps there was just a lot of inventory down there.

You can definitely find very nice examples, but as already stated it'll cost you big money unless you stumble across someone who happens to not really know what they have. I'm sure there are some out there, but I've personally never seen or heard of a NOS one available for purchase.

I was told by Stihl during a inquiry trying to age one of mine that they were manufactured from 1968-1984. When I got that information I was not specifically told that was worldwide as opposed to just the US and I've heard rumblings that they were sold in south America (and maybe Australia) later than that. Of course, being available for sale and being manufactured are two very different things; perhaps there was just a lot of inventory down there.

You can definitely find very nice examples, but as already stated it'll cost you big money unless you stumble across someone who happens to not really know what they have. I'm sure there are some out there, but I've personally never seen or heard of a NOS one available for purchase.
a few pallets held in Australia for the PNG people i have heard. i have tried contacting them( PNG that is.Australia no can buy). no feedback as yet.

It's not like I am going to buy one, but is the 090 available anywhere?
What are the chances of getting a new one or a mint used one?

New ones were availiable (at a very high price - 1000 Aussie dollars more than a MS880) in Austalia a couple of years ago - but I don't know the current situation.

It is just curiosa anyway, so don't monitor the development closely....:lol:

I'm not sure they ever were totally discontinued, but the production has been very limited, and I don't know if they have been made in Germany or in Brazil after 2005 or so (they were made in Germany then).

They're overpriced if you're gonna run em IMO.
Agreed. Most buyers are looking for a trophy that they can put on a shelf somewhere, running or not running. I fear that's what I intend to do with the beast that I have. The local bar and grill owner says he will pay me a young fortune to clean it up and mount it on the wall inside a glass case with no bar and chain attached.

Thought it was more than two years they haven't been available here ST - I remember a store advertising them online here along side the 880, and I used to monitor it as a gauge for whether they were still available here or not! I reckon they disappeared from there about 5 years ago. Could be wrong but.

I thought they'd been totally discontinued but the MS720 is available. Why they'd make the 070 (basically) and not the 090 though doesn't make sense so I suspect it may still be on the shelf somewhere. Thought the MS720 was German made?

a few pallets held in Australia for the PNG people i have heard. i have tried contacting them( PNG that is.Australia no can buy). no feedback as yet.
I have spent considerable time in PNG and never saw an 090 there. Not saying there aren't any there, just that I never saw one.

Back