Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Probst

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a friend that has an 090 for sale for 300 bucks. Said it has been rebuilt. And I can here it run , are most parts still available for these and if it runs is that a good deal?

Great deal if it's "original". Id figure it'd cost that to rebuild it alone. The experts will be along in a moment.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

give me his number if you pass.... yes, that's a good deal and no, parts are harder to come by as they stopped production in the US some time ago. Aftermarket parts are pretty decent for most of what you would need for a rebuild and available.

Yea it cost about that to rebuild, He had loaned it out and the guy ran it with gas without oil. then took it to a shop to have it redone. If the guy had just took the saw back to my friend as is and gave him the 300 they would have both been happy. but now I have a chance at the saw. I have 6 other saws for tree work but the biggest is 56 cc . I need a big felling saw.

if you want a saw to use as a falling saw the 090 is not the one. still a good deal but one of the most awkward saws i have ever used for work. i am a known 090 hater though.

how many 090's have you owned uncle? i've owned to many. i actually had no idea of their value until i joined here cause most i find are offered up for free in these parts. nobody see's them as a valuable saw. they just see them as an old heavy clunker that nobody wants to use which i do get but if i would have known of AS i would have sold the ones i had on here or ebay for a huge profit :)

I've had 4 in different states of repair.
Given some away to friends to build for milling.
Good for bucking big stuff, if you can find it.lol
Hurricane relief being about the only time.
Ported 084 takes care of most.

Randy ported one for me when I won a port job during a charity give away.
I will use it very little.
I'll hand it to others at GTGs.
I plan for it to be my last saw.
Will run it once a week to keep senility at bay.

i think i've owned 4 or 5 too. one of my buddies still has one of my old 090's and it still runs today. i'm not saying they're not a good saw. just awkward enough for me to choose to never use one for work again. they are grunty piglets.

Well a 090 sure beats a 088 when the bar gets 60+ inches. But then I usually dont have to haul it more than a few hundred feet either. For a logger a 090 only makes sense in large old growth. For tree guys taking down big maples and oaks, it might make sense. also for very hard Aussie wood. I would add that an AV version is highly recommended buy this guy. Big, big, difference. Even a "G" model seems to vibrate a bit less but are only really useful with bars over 72" or using 1/2" chain.

A saw like that IMHO should go to someone who appreciates them and who will take care of it. They are getting quite rare and are a big part of falling history. lt should not be in the hands of someone who would possibly 'straight gas' it. When l read that...l kinda felt sick. For that money its a no brainer.

Do people actually use these anymore, It seems their more of a novelty or collector. Big slow turd. I would buy one though if I could get it cheap.

I'm gonna use mine where an 066 would choke.
On big Live Oak.
dont fall asleep in the cut. i run a 25 on my 066, has never bogged down and cuts fast, can cut a 32 in tree with out steppin around to finish cut.
i guess if you need to run a 4 foot bar a 090 would be awsome , never used one, had a 075 for a day and it was slow, tons of power but slow.
and vibration....wouldn't want to use it for more than 10 mins.

dont fall asleep in the cut. i run a 25 on my 066, has never bogged down and cuts fast, can cut a 32 in tree with out steppin around to finish cut.
i guess if you need to run a 4 foot bar a 090 would be awsome , never used one, had a 075 for a day and it was slow, tons of power but slow.
and vibration....wouldn't want to use it for more than 10 mins.
Oh it is for bucking.
Try attacking a 7' oak without enough grunt.
Randy said my 090 has 200 psi. Ain't no turd.
25" on an 066 sure shouldn't bog.
Mine never did. Lol

Next time you are thru PA you can run the ported 084&090.

Or next time I get to WI!!!! Lol

Have a good one.

Uncle Rob

Oh it is for bucking.
Try attacking a 7' oak without enough grunt.
Randy said my 090 has 200 psi. Ain't no turd.
25" on an 066 sure shouldn't bog.
Mine never did. Lol

Next time you are thru PA you can run the ported 084&090.

Or next time I get to WI!!!! Lol

Have a good one.

Uncle Rob
im sure yours is a screamer. 7 foot oak, thats a hand full for any saw, and person, good luck.

Latest posts

Back