Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilHead

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Found a 090 today that appears to be complete but not running. It only has the 1 inner dawg on it & right behind that it has been welded up. Looks like it's holding. The only piece on it thats real bad other than the repaired crack is the handle bar . Before I hand over $ 350 for it was wondering about what it will cost me to locate a front handle bar for it that is'nt all trashed out. Or a new one for that matter if there still available.

Last edited:
Not on topic....but why do you NEED an 090? Are you a collector or do you just run into that many trees that you can't cut down with a 66? Or maybe you want one because they look and sound badass?

Really need something along the lines of a 50" bar . A 41" on the 066 is going to be on the short side for what I run into. Without it then I'm left with setteling for lesser quality wood. :chainsaw:

Not on topic....but why do you NEED an 090? Are you a collector or do you just run into that many trees that you can't cut down with a 66? Or maybe you want one because they look and sound badass?
Probably 95% of the 090 owners NEED one, and I sure as hell don't need one, but they sure make nice conversation pieces.

He He - I think what sold me was the video over on You Tube. Stihl 090G removing big sitka spruce part 1. Not familar on how to copy over the link to it so it displays here. Guess the only other question is do the non gear drives sound like that one or is some of the howling comming from the gear drive.

"do you NEED an 090?" Are you sure your on the right site? J/K
I don't need one but I'm sure a heck going to have one someday.

attachment.php
This is what I use my 090 for. 54 inchs of paper roll , cut in half at WOT for 4-5 minutes with a .404 harvester chain. Toughest thing I ever cut. This SPX paper from our local papermill[Tolko] is one of the strongest papers in the world .The Mexicans are one of the biggest customers, they use it for cement bags. These rolls are cull[rejects] and are cut in half and thrown back into the repulper. My worker and I cut as many as 45 in a 10hr day. One mile of paper in this roll and weighs about 6000 lbs.

Last edited:
Well guess I'd better sell off a truck load of seasoned oak to pay for it. I'll get some real funny looks from the boss if I dont do it that way. Think you know.

This is what I use my 090 for. 54 inchs of paper roll , cut in half at WOT for 4-5 minutes with a .404 harvester chain. Toughest thing I ever cut. This SPX paper from our local papermill is the strongest in the world.

That's a creative application for an 090.

Well guess I'd better sell off a truck load of seasoned oak to pay for it. I'll get some real funny looks from the boss if I dont do it that way. Think you know.

I've tried turning the boss's head in the past with a number of tricks, but they always seem to know when you're spending money, especially if it's on saws.

attachment.php
This is what I use my 090 for. 54 inchs of paper roll , cut in half at WOT for 4-5 minutes with a .404 harvester chain. Toughest thing I ever cut. This SPX paper from our local papermill[Tolko] is one of the strongest papers in the world .The Mexicans are one of the biggest customers, they use it for cement bags. These rolls are cull[rejects] and are cut in half and thrown back into the repulper. My worker and I cut as many as 45 in a 10hr day. One mile of paper in this roll and weighs about 6000 lbs.

Great pic. Nice to see interesting jobs like that. Especially when a cool saw is being used in it. :)

:)
attachment.php

I have other good uses for my Stihl 090 AV. Notice the 36" Alaskan sawmill to the right of the 090 [ignore the YZ hotsaw its only there for decoration LOL] and you can see my 2"x4" aluminum slabbing rails, one set is 20 feet long and the shorter is 10 feet. I carry them under my trailer so I am always ready to cut lumber from a premium log that I may come upon while doing tree removal. I can join both sets together and with an overhang stub I can cut 32' foot long lumber. I have cut some beautiful 2"x12"x 32'ft long white spruce lumber from some big trees that I may just have wasted by blocking them up.

Latest posts

Back