Stihl 090g

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Just in case someone doesn't know;

The 090G use the 106cc engine of the 070, not the 137cc one of the regular 090.

Edit; If memory serves, there was a Contra GS a few years earlier, with the 137cc engine.

Anyway, the first 3120xps (118cc) had a higher power output than any of the 137cc Stihls ever had - but that is another story, and the later ones are sort of duds......

Last edited:
harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just in case someone doesn't know;

The 090G use the 106cc engine of the 070, not the 137cc one of the regular 090.

Edit; If memory serves, there was a Contra GS a few years earlier, with the 137cc engine.

Anyway, the first 3120xps (118cc) had a higher power output than any of the 137cc Stihls ever had - but that is another story, and the later ones are sort of duds......

what about torque output? I would've thought it wouldn't be too hard to get a saw to scream out a few more hp, but surely the capacity of the 137's gonna leave a 118 behind on torque. Not to mention lower stress on the components? But I'm defo the green guy here so I'm ready to be put in my place...

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
what about torque output? I would've thought it wouldn't be too hard to get a saw to scream out a few more hp, but surely the capacity of the 137's gonna leave a 118 behind on torque. Not to mention lower stress on the components? But I'm defo the green guy here so I'm ready to be put in my place...
I have no idea - just stating the facts as far as I know them.........

HolmenTree

HolmenTree

ArboristSite Guru
On my 090 AV I tightened up the governor spring [there is about 6 teeth settings the spring can tightening up on ] Mine is on the last notch. The governor carb choke never comes on and the 090s power output is much higher then when it came out as on factory setting. The 090 does not appear to be hurt by this higher rpm, from all the heavy cutting it has done for me.

Check out my earlier post and pictures of my 090 doing some heavy duty cutting on the thread "weekend report 4/4-4/6/2008 way back on about page 10 post#36 [04-08-2008]

Last edited:
Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
All except Bill's.

On my 090 AV I tightened up the governor spring [there is about 6 teeth settings the spring can tightening up on ] Mine is on the last notch. The governor carb choke never comes on and the 090s power output is much higher then when it came out as on factory setting. The 090 does not appear to be hurt by this higher rpm, from all the heavy cutting it has done for me.

Check out my earlier post and pictures of my 090 doing some heavy duty cutting on the thread "weekend report 4/4-4/6/2008 way back on about page 10 post#36 [04-08-2008]

Quite a few just unhooked the governor and ran a spring for the choke. If you were racing you pulled the butterfly completely.

Bill

Latest posts