Stihl 25" vs 20" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference in weight between a Stihl 25" bar (w/replaceable nose) and a 20" bar narrow nose bar. Please give a total weight difference including the different chain weight if you can.

I have a nearly new MS460 25" I bought at the end of firewood season last year with less than an hour on it. I torqued my back really badly over the summer and I'm looking to either shed some weight on the 460 or sell it and get a lighter saw (i.e. 361). Thanks everyone.

I don't think bar weight is going to make a diff. on your back.
Not knowing how bad your back is try using a lifting brace and the 25" so you don't have to bend over so much.
If that don't help sell your saw for the 361 it's a much lighter saw.

I have a MS 440 that regularly sports both 20" and 25" Stihl brand bars. The 20" being a roller tip and the 25" has the "Pro" removable roller nose, weight between them on a scale is only a couple ounces but the balance is completely different. With a saw the weight of a 440/460 anything over a 20" bar will make it nose heavy which gives the illusion of a big weight increase going from a 20" to 25".

Did that make any sense?

Jeff

JeffHK454 said:
weight between them on a scale is only a couple ounces ....

You are right about the balance beeing differnt, but the weight difference will also be much larger than you indicate, probably more than a pound, maybe close to two.

The difference between my 15" and 18" Rollomatic E bars (without chain) is allmost .3 kg (or 2/3 of a pound).

I don't know how bad your back is, but if it's bad enough that a 460 with a 25" is too much, the 20" isn't going to make the saw light enough for you, though it will make it lighter and more manageable. Best thing to do is to walk into a dealer and actually handle one of each.

Will the 361 stand up to what you need it for?

Jeff

Just some follow-up here guys. I went back to the dealer and he put both bars (and chains) on a 460 power head and I have to say the weight and feel was pretty dramatic. I have to agree with SawTroll, the difference, with the chain weight included is, I'm guessing, between 1-2 pounds with much improved balance. When I consider less time cutting (versus the 361) as a factor with my back, I'm gonna stick with the 460.

On a side note, it's nice to have a dealer take time to change out those bars and chains for me. I just asked about the weight difference and they volunteered to actually put on a 20" and 25" bar to let me see for myself.

Hello Jeff, you are making a mess out of my printouts with your long signature.

Please shorten it!

Looks good though! :cheers:

I often have some back issues, also. I have found that, in spite of the slightly increased weight and the noticeable "balance" difference, the longer bar means I don't have to reach and bend over and so forth as much during the actual cut. I can stand straighter and in my case the leaning over is more painful on my lower back. That is for my cutting situation, of course, and yours may be different. Just food for thought. I am not talking here about the felling of a tree but the sectioning it up after it is down.

TreeCo said:
My comment was not aimed at you Jeff. Anyone wanting to print out the text of a thread might do well to turn off avatars, embedded photos and signatures before printing.

Oh I know Dan, but I read SawTroll's post above, and just got rid of it. I'll see if I can organize a shorter one.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Oh I know Dan, but I read SawTroll's post above, and just got rid of it. I'll see if I can organize a shorter one.
Sorry Jeff, I didn't mean to annoy you, just a stupid joke. :blush:

You guys make me feel lucky. I am rapidly approaching 40 and have never had back problems. You make me realize how lucky I am.

Jim

TopJimmy said:
You guys make me feel lucky. I am rapidly approaching 40 and have never had back problems. You make me realize how lucky I am.

Jim

Make the most of it - everything starts to fall to pieces around 50'ish!:laugh:

I hear ya, I am falling apart in other areas, lol. I just hope the old back can keep holding up.

Jim

I have the 25" bar on my 361. It helps out because I am 6'5", and don't wanna bend over as far to buck/limb logs. The 361 pulls tha 25"er just fine and is still balanced well.

Plus the modded muffler helps out too! :biggrinbounce2:

Gary

Latest posts

Back