stihl 261 and 362 crank problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 362 was a hot mess when it first started showing up, so was the 391. I cannot imagine that adding the M tronic to the mix helped these folks at all. Honestly believe the 362 was a huge swing and a miss for Stihl. If Stihl got the fit and finish issues worked out with the 391 and it can be tuned fat, as though it was being set up for milling then it might last longer. The first ones were junk, and folks were told that they needed to pay the up charge to the pro line and run 362s.

Echo gained some new small customers, the big guys just buy lots of Stihls.

The M-Tronic saws probably run to high RPM to be long term brush clearers, but they seem to do fine cutting wood.

I'm glad they did not put limited coils on them, but that would likely make them more relicable brush saws. Be careful what you wish for.

guys dont take this thread to seriously. nobody else is having problems(or at least owning up to it) and the ones i see are .000000000000000000001% of the 261/362 saws that stihl produced.

Mtronic issues are getting more plentiful but still not enough that someone should avoid buying one just because of the scattered issues that have shown up. Mtronic/Autotune probably save 10 times more saws from air leaks than the saws that have issues.

guys dont take this thread to seriously. nobody else is having problems(or at least owning up to it) and the ones i see are .000000000000000000001% of the 261/362 saws that stihl produced.

Mtronic issues are getting more plentiful but still not enough that someone should avoid buying one just because of the scattered issues that have shown up. Mtronic/Autotune probably save 10 times more saws from air leaks than the saws that have issues.
What Mtronic issues do you know of?

fuel solenoid is the main part failure related to mtronic, 00001205110 $14.49. @funky sawman can tell you all about the 661 problems. Autotune i have yet to see a saw come in my shop with it and havent been able to convince somebody to buy a Jred that has it so no experience with it at all. Have the software on the shelf so i am prepared when one does come in though.

As the OP has mentioned a few times I would not hesitate to buy the saw you want to own unless you are looking to supply yourself with a full time easement/slash saw.

Having said that, buy the Echo 60cc saw.

I do not own any of these saws, silly things are expensive, even the 361 beaters.

Arent all mtrons limited on their coils ?

A 362 is 14000 and a 661 is 13500 ?

You may be correct, but it would be news to me. I know the builders replace "limited" coils on the 461 & other saws, but never heard of them doing it on a 362 or 261. My understanding was that M-Tonic just retarded the timing at a certain RPM to preclude over revving, but I could be wrong.

You may be correct, but it would be news to me. I know the builders replace "limited" coils on the 461 & other saws, but never heard of them doing it on a 362 or 261. My understanding was that M-Tonic just retarded the timing at a certain RPM to preclude over revving, but I could be wrong.

I think the 461 is the only one ive heard of gettin the coil swapped

Good start to the week. 6 saws dropped off. 4 261's with bad cranks, a 362C blown up, 362 blown up. Not much work this way. We arent supposed to fix the Mtronic saw. its going back to Stihl. The 261's with bad cranks are going into the parts bin. already pulled the 1 good cylinder off to save for the next job that they bring in.

AS 001.JPG

That crew is rough on saws.
I'm glad they are though! Thanks to them i have these.

AS 002.JPG

Just need to get time to clean them all up and see what is useable. I trash all the really bad looking ones and keep the decent ones. probably 10 to 20 261/362 cylinders up there waiting their turn on the bench.

You can't replace the coil on an MTronic saw. It controls the carb. AFAIK, MTronic does not alter ignition timing dynamically. If I understand it correctly, it controls ignition timing no differently than the electronic coils have been for years. They retard it at low RPMs for easier starting, then move to full advance one throttle is applied. RPMs are limited by a rev limiter. RPMs in the cut are affected by carb tuning, but not limited by.

I think the 461 is the only one ive heard of gettin the coil swapped
As well as the MS880.

I'm glad they are though! Thanks to them i have these.

View attachment 431997

Just need to get time to clean them all up and see what is useable. I trash all the really bad looking ones and keep the decent ones. probably 10 to 20 261/362 cylinders up there waiting their turn on the bench.
How are they breaking all those saws like that?

Brad, some time ago someone posted ignition timing advance curves on Stihl saws. I distinctly remember people commenting that it was more elaborate than what they thought, and I also remember ignition decline above a certain RPM. Never was sure what saw it was for.

In fact, I printed it, see if this brings it up:

www.arboristsite.com/community/attachments/curve-jpg.326453/

Latest posts

Back