Stihl 261 reliability.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Talked a row clearing crew today that was working around my property and asked them how they liked the MS261C-M'S they where running. They said the like everything about them excel for the fact they have had more than a few failures. I asked what failed and they said bearings and piston seizures.
I was interested in one as there was one in the classifieds for a great price, but I couldn't get over the fact how big they where. More like a 60cc saw than a 50cc saw. No I hear this and I am glad I didn't go with one.
What say the guys who have put a meaningful amount of time on a 261?

I understand that failures are common in the UK - but oddly it is seldom reported on the US forums?

Regardless, it isn't what a 50cc saw should be, so I don't really care what the truth is.

I'm curious about the reliability of the 261 C-M's as well, I have a standard carb 261 that I'm thinking of selling to fund a 261 M-tronic or a 241 M-tronic. I've heard nothing but great things about the 241, but haven't read much feedback on the 261 M-tronic.

I'm curious about the reliability of the 261 C-M's as well, I have a standard carb 261 that I'm thinking of selling to fund a 261 M-tronic or a 241 M-tronic. I've heard nothing but great things about the 241, but haven't read much feedback on the 261 M-tronic.
I'm enjoying my MS261-M. Dropped a trunk on it a few months back ... bent the 20" bar & chain 90°, broke the (plastic) handlebar, and broke off the little guard around the oil filler that was part of the case. Put a 16" bar & chain on it and continued cutting 20 minutes after wrecking it, though holding the bar in a manner to offset the broken end. Later inspection revealed the handlebar broke at a point where it's designed to fail in such an incident. If the bar did not break, other more expensive pieces would have. Of course, I now have a new handlebar and it doesn't miss a beat.

Now for the disclaimer. I'm a part-time hack so it doesn't see service every day, and I might have only 15 tanks through it so far. I am also liking my MS441C with M-tronic, plus an MS201TC-M top-handle I bought a couple months ago which hasn't yet shown up on the Stihl USA website. Sold my MS192T after getting the MS201TC-M. My favorites are my two MS150 saws.

i'm just curious what the life span of all new stihls are.the 311 i bought cheap just didnt help matters any.seems the bearing cages are magical and can teleport themselves to another universe.
from what i've seen of new saws poulan is setting the bar for reliability.

Hasn't it been out more than a year?
yeap.didnt think stihl had teething issues.all the older models never tore up from everyday use.i gaurantee i can pick up an old 028 and have it running in a day or less.barring a saw thats been straight gassed.now days its a complete tear down.then its pretty iffy.

You can thank the Politics of the time for forcing Stihl ( And Husqvarna) to "Eff" Up perfectly good designs to comply with regulations. A company Like Stihl will see the warrantee statistics if there is an actual problem and fix the saw. I remember when the 562's first came out with bogging issues...they morphed it and you don't see that. Stihl will solve the issue I wouldn't condemn the saw series though

lf l could put the HD2 filter, double dawg roller catcher, WRS6f bosch plug from my MS261 onto my 550xp....you would near have the perfect 50cc saw. But l can't and and for that reason l use my ported ms261 more than my 550xp. Throttle reponse from revboost is very welcome on this size saw. l must say as for reliability l have less that 50hrs on my 550 but am on my third ms 261 in five years and have put many hundred hours on them and conclude they are a well engineered product and if left stock are great on fuel (as is the strato 550). The standard small spline clutch drum on the 550 is better for buying cheap am sprockets where stihl put on the 'stihl only' micro spline drum. Yesterday l used my 550 to cut up a seasoned redgum, and after four tanks so much fines had entered the carb throat, l stopped using it....it was bad. That is just not an issue with the round auto style hd2 filter..l am yet to see really anything pass it. Not a big issue for many parts of the globe but here good air filters are important.

lf l could put the HD2 filter, double dawg roller catcher, WRS6f bosch plug from my MS261 onto my 550xp....you would near have the perfect 50cc saw. But l can't and and for that reason l use my ported ms261 more than my 550xp. Throttle reponse from revboost is very welcome on this size saw. l must say as for reliability l have less that 50hrs on my 550 but am on my third ms 261 in five years and have put many hundred hours on them and conclude they are a well engineered product and if left stock are great on fuel (as is the strato 550). The standard small spline clutch drum on the 550 is better for buying cheap am sprockets where stihl put on the 'stihl only' micro spline drum. Yesterday l used my 550 to cut up a seasoned redgum, and after four tanks so much fines had entered the carb throat, l stopped using it....it was bad. That is just not an issue with the round auto style hd2 filter..l am yet to see really anything pass it. Not a big issue for many parts of the globe but here good air filters are important.
Never ran a 550, but my 562xp has great filtration as Huskies have had since air injection came out. The stihl 260 and 360 both had terrible air filters, but it doesn't seem to hurt them any as 260's in particular are about as reliable as a anvil.

You can thank the Politics of the time for forcing Stihl ( And Husqvarna) to "Eff" Up perfectly good designs to comply with regulations. A company Like Stihl will see the warrantee statistics if there is an actual problem and fix the saw. I remember when the 562's first came out with bogging issues...they morphed it and you don't see that. Stihl will solve the issue I wouldn't condemn the saw series though

The basic flaws of the MS261 are much "deeper" in the design, and can't be fixed without a total redesign.

Reliability issues should have been fixed already, considering how long the model has been out - but apparently isn't.
It looks like the core of many issues are the heat trapping inboard clutch, combined with plastic caged bearings in the same area?

The basic flaws of the MS261 are much "deeper" in the design, and can't be fixed without a total redesign.

Reliability issues should have been fixed already, considering how long the model has been out - but apparently isn't.
It looks like the core of many issues are the heat trapping inboard clutch, combined with plastic caged bearings in the same area?
I prefer the "heat trapping inner clutch" hands down. I would also question how hot the clutch actually gets in normal use. I am guessing not very hot.

I prefer the "heat trapping inner clutch" hands down. I would also question how hot the clutch actually gets in normal use. I am guessing not very hot.
Hot enough to melt bearing cages in short order, it seems - at least in the UK.

The inboard is part of what makes the saw feel bulky and clumsy to handle as well, in addition to the technical disadvantages.

Back