Stihl 261 reliability.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a 261 in a skip, perfect condition, bar the clutch side crank. Bearing had failed and roughed it up so they skipped it. I, like the magpie I am whipped it out, new bearing and plenty of grease and a new drum and it was right as rain. 10 hours of constant cutting (Told my pal no chain brake and no idling) and it didnt miss a beat.

Never ran a 550, but my 562xp has great filtration as Huskies have had since air injection came out. The stihl 260 and 360 both had terrible air filters, but it doesn't seem to hurt them any as 260's in particular are about as reliable as a anvil.

Air injection or whatever the particular OEM calls it is great but tends to better seperate larger chips that have mass rather than super fine dust from dry hardwood. For most sawyers if your making fine dust your either ripping with a mill or your chain needs sharpening. When cutting dry redgum fine dust and small chips are the norm, finding a filter that reliably works under these conditions hard. Filter oil and other measures help but nothing works as well as good design, the hd2 has been as good as it gets in a small but effective filter.[/QUOTE]

Air injection or whatever the particular OEM calls it is great but tends to better seperate larger chips that have mass rather than super fine dust from dry hardwood. For most sawyers if your making fine dust your either ripping with a mill or your chain needs sharpening. When cutting dry redgum fine dust and small chips are the norm, finding a filter that reliably works under these conditions hard. Filter oil and other measures help but nothing works as well as good design, the hd2 has been as good as it gets in a small but effective filter.
[/QUOTE]
Standing dead Red Oak makes alot of dust. Never had issues with the filtration in Husky saws. Have had issues with the stihl 260 and 360.
Not sure what red gum is? Are you in Aus?

Back