Stihl 261 vs. Husky 550 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, 3 of the 4 saws are first class units.

Granted, I'm Husky biased, and not afraid to admit it. And I've never had strong feelings one way or the other with inboard or outboard clutches. But trying to be objective............LOL

In this case the Huskys are simply more advanced than their Stihl counterparts. Whenever these discussions take place, the one sure way to tell that the Stihl guys are grasping is when they trot out the "better build quality" fantasy. I can't see any difference in build quality between the two brands.

The 550 has a slight edge over the 261 in any measureable category. But it is slight. The 261 is a really nice saw to run, and despite people complaining that it's heavy, I really don't notice it. To me it's a comfortable saw to operate, but it lacks that "fits like a glove" feel of the 550. Doing firewood it would be hard to pick a clear winner between them. But in doing all of the other jobs that professional 50cc saws are designed to do, the 550 is IMO clearly superior in that element.

The 362 is a flop, if ever there was one. And the proof is not in what us Husky guys may say about it, but in how little the Stihl guys have to say about it. Remember the 361 was one of the most loved saws on the site a short time ago. There were many threads where 361 owners raved about how great it was. There was a special 361 owners group forum. And what do we get from the Stihl camp with the 362? Mostly silence and indifference. The primary reason is that the 261, 550, and 562 are all better than the saws they replaced. The 362 is clearly not as good as the 361, and that's why, even in the eyes of Stihl fans, it is viewed as a disappointment. It's not even close in the 60cc class: 562 all the way.

YOU must be doing something wrong matt sometimes when i get to a job

me 460R is upside down and it's got a 3/4 wrap bar the 390 is on top of me 261

The reason your 460 is upside down is because the 390XPG has just beaten the crap out of it and is in the process of laying down a hiding on it's little brother :)

Well, 3 of the 4 saws are first class units.

Granted, I'm Husky biased, and not afraid to admit it. And I've never had strong feelings one way or the other with inboard or outboard clutches. But trying to be objective............LOL

In this case the Huskys are simply more advanced than their Stihl counterparts. Whenever these discussions take place, the one sure way to tell that the Stihl guys are grasping is when they trot out the "better build quality" fantasy. I can't see any difference in build quality between the two brands.

The 550 has a slight edge over the 261 in any measureable category. But it is slight. The 261 is a really nice saw to run, and despite people complaining that it's heavy, I really don't notice it. To me it's a comfortable saw to operate, but it lacks that "fits like a glove" feel of the 550. Doing firewood it would be hard to pick a clear winner between them. But in doing all of the other jobs that professional 50cc saws are designed to do, the 550 is IMO clearly superior in that element.

The 362 is a flop, if ever there was one. And the proof is not in what us Husky guys may say about it, but in how little the Stihl guys have to say about it. Remember the 361 was one of the most loved saws on the site a short time ago. There were many threads where 361 owners raved about how great it was. There was a special 361 owners group forum. And what do we get from the Stihl camp with the 362? Mostly silence and indifference. The primary reason is that the 261, 550, and 562 are all better than the saws they replaced. The 362 is clearly not as good as the 361, and that's why, even in the eyes of Stihl fans, it is viewed as a disappointment. It's not even close in the 60cc class: 562 all the way.

Good post and I agree completely.

I also think the 362 is somewhat a flop but thats not to say its a horrible saw that cannot be used. lots of people run them and love them.

I also think the 362 is somewhat a flop but thats not to say its a horrible saw that cannot be used. lots of people run them and love them.

Maybe I'm easily impressed but I've run the MS 362 a few times and it felt like a decent 60cc saw with good power, except that the AV felt mushy compared to what I'm used to. Started easily - didn't need to set the decomp. A 60cc saw doesn't fit my current saw plan, but if it did, I'd likely choose the Husky 562.

Good post and I agree completely.

Correct. It's hard to criticize it and not sound like totally trashing the thing. It's not a bad saw, just a bit of a letdown after the 361.

BTW, us Husky folks have been down this 60cc disappointment road before: Remember the 262 was replaced by the 357! :eek2:

Isn't that exactly what a 50cc pro saw really is about? :msp_wink:

Correct. It's hard to criticize it and not sound like totally trashing the thing. It's not a bad saw, just a bit of a letdown after the 361.

BTW, us Husky folks have been down this 60cc disappointment road before: Remember the 262 was replaced by the 357! :eek2:

Hey man, I really like the 357xp! Really! :msp_smile:

Now how does that one lever work the primer? I like my saws to conform to me not the other way around but I could get used to it, Eventually,

Ah just saying ya got a primer, choke, meant on/off switch there.... on a husky. One lever(switch) on a stihl. Idk don't seem like a reason to dislike either brand just for this one difference is all. To the original OP - both the 550xp and ms261 are gonna get it done and very nicely at that too.

The fact is that they are both excellent saws, it just boils down to personal perference, dealer support and how you use a saw. I can't speak to the Husky, but credible, reliable members say its a great saw I'll take it that it is until porved different. I can just attest that the 261 has been one of the most reliable platforms Stihl has introduced, as a user with our firewood business and as a part of a dealership it has been bulletproof. The two we use in our operation one going on three years and one going on two years have had nothing done to them but blowing the airfilter out, keeping good mix and bar oil and sharp chains on them, I expect I could do the same with the Husky.

Parts are equally high for any brand name saw, carrying mutiple brands, there isn't that much difference, and the dealers aren't the ones making a killing, the only place were both brands are out of line imho is oem cylinders and pistons, I've seen prices drop on air filters, carbs and alot of everyday maint. items. A filter for a 250 is down to 5.99, alot of carbs down in the 29-4acat is0 range. What hasn't went up.
When the 261CM rolls out it will make a big difference.

Fact is everyone can beech and feud about brands, but there isn't a one that doesn't make some excellent models and all make some that aren't the best that ever hit the shelf. For me it is as much as made in the USA as anything and which ever brand you buy support a dealer or a local independent shop, not a big box that provides no service but the sale.

My brothers sisters best friends fatherinlaws 3rd cousins friend said that Huskys are junk, So it is on the internet, it must be true!!! I looked at a Stihl once, held it and it gave me a mean stare, they must be junk too. I cut 1/2 a cord a year so that makes me a EX SPERT.

Sorry all but I just could'nt resist. CJ

You have made a few cuts with this saw and it is definately better than the competitions saws? that you havent run? wow. And people say stihlheads have on blinders.......

Son I have a 211, but it's smaller in displacement than the 421 so I'll leave it out of the mix for now. I've repaired and ran quite a few 021's, 250's and you'd have to be mentally deficient to think they come close to the build quality of a mag case 421. No saw in the 421's class from Husky or Stihl currently on sale in the U.S. comes close to the 421 in build quality IMHO.

I think the 261 is a fine saw, as are most Stihl's, but not every saw from Stihl is the best in it's class. This is a chainsaw forum, some of you need to calm down and enjoy the ride.:cool2:

I've seen prices drop on air filters, carbs and alot of everyday maint. items. A filter for a 250 is down to 5.99, alot of carbs down in the 29-4acat is0 range. What hasn't went up.
When the 261CM rolls out it will make a big difference.

That's good to hear,:msp_smile: the last filter I bought for a 250 was around 25 bucks, this was in November.

The reason your 460 is upside down is because the 390XPG has just beaten the crap out of it and is in the process of laying down a hiding on it's little brother :)

And here i was thinking it was sexual.

See that's the difference between Matt and I.

I'm the lover, he's the fighter.

And I don't have a brother.

And i don't have three saws.
So it comes back to jealousy.

That's what's so great about AS. We get to discuss saws and psychology. :D

I was talking about the 241 Which should be good competition. Its all in good fun I still think 50cc Saws are for cutting x mass t r e e a

Ah just saying ya got a primer, choke, meant on/off switch there.... on a husky. One lever(switch) on a stihl. Idk don't seem like a reason to dislike either brand just for this one difference is all. To the original OP - both the 550xp and ms261 are gonna get it done and very nicely at that too.

I am also husky biased, and I have ran both a 562xp and a ms362 and never even honestly thought that anybody would ever have a reason to buy a 362 after being amazed by it's husky counterpart. As far as the primer bulb though, I have never seen a primer bulb last more than three or four years without dry rotting and cracking. It's just going to be something else you have to fix.

Last edited:
The whole primer bulb retort goes back to grasping for something to complain about. WHEN Stihl puts them on their all their saws, not just some, all of the primer jibs will all but disappear. And I've seen plenty of quite old primers still pumping away.

This isn't directed specifically at you, just after you.

As far as the primer bulb though, I have never seen a primer bulb last more than three or four years without dry rotting and cracking. It's just going to be something else you have to fix.

I've got a 326 weed eater and a 346 that are 10 years old , no problems with either primer bulb . I must just be lucky . I even tempt fate by storing them fully fueled . :biggrin

As far as the primer bulb though, I have never seen a primer bulb last more than three or four years without dry rotting and cracking. It's just going to be something else you have to fix.

I've got a 326 weed eater and a 346 that are 10 years old , no problems with either primer bulb . I must just be lucky . I even tempted fate by storing them fully fueled . :biggrin

And priming will be needed as part of fuel injection?

As far as I know, and I haven't looked into it deeply, with the fuel injection you need to use the primer every time you start the machine - not just when cold.

For that matter, the trimmers and saws currently running primer bulbs don't even require you to use them.

Latest posts

Back