Stihl 261C: How to tell latest version? Bar size? Reliability of M-Tronic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Harrow

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to buy a 261. Is the new style clutch cover a sure-fire way of telling the latest version from the earlier and heavier model? Is that new style clutch cover distinct from the others, like the one shown here: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms261cm/

Just want to make sure I spend the money on the right one. :)

Re the bar size. The dealer has a 20" bar on the one in stock. Seems long, and maybe too much for a 50cc saw. I've used 16" and 18" on my previous 50cc saws. I sort of like the 16", thinking the saw will cut faster with it. I know it's a little lighter too and less likely to get in the way in tight quarters.

There's been a few occasions I wished I'd had a longer bar when running 16". 90% of the time it seems enough. That said, is there a strong argument one way or another between 16", 18", and 20' for this saw? Or is it personal preference?

Lastly, has the M-Tronic been working well for people? I'm a little scared of this type of technology after reading some of the posts about Husqvarna's Auto-Tune.

That's the one. Just picked it up a couple hours ago.
I prefer 16" for most of what I do but have all three for the Husky. Starting over now with Stihl. Got a 16 today, may get a 20 later if needed. Probably skip the 18.

View attachment 518434

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    674.3 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back