Stihl 261cm & 362cm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Reaction score
I was in a tractor dealer today, who also sells Stihl. He had ms261's and ms362's on the shelf. They were tagged and priced as CM saws. When I pointed out that the saws were the plain carb models, the owner of the dealership got pretty indignant and told me I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.
Neither of the models had a C on the starter cover and all (six total) of the saws had holes in the covers for carb adjustment.
Have any of you seen any Mtronic saws with adjustment holes in the AF cover, or the standard nomenclature on the starter cover?

I'm going to be back in the same area tomorrow and really want to go back and explain to this ass hat, the error of his ways. This guy was an arrogant prick. I should just leave it alone but my confrontational nature won't allow it.

He either doesn't have a clue about the product he is selling or he knows full well what he is doing and is trying to gouge customers for the increased price. Both scenarios are highly probable.
exactly...they are not the cm models!

No Stihl saws with M-tronic have carb adjusting holes in them. Currently the M-tronic saws all have C on the side badges, as for now at least M-tronic is considered a convenience feature.

Basically your dealer there does not know snot about Stihl saws, and sadly that is common in a lot of places. Stihl pricing is set by distributor region, and they frown heavily on any mis-labeling or attempts at gouging. If they are like most Stihl shops here, they have saw models and prices listed online. I would just ignore them. Why waste the time informing him about his ignorance, when he is obviously so proud of it. I would write the company a letter and inform them that their dealer is a turd, and needs some adjusting toward would be customers, such as yourself. That usually gets a lot better result, and the dealer will have to account for his actions.

To amend the above post, you can complain to Stihl corporate directly online through their web site. Simple to do, and he will get slammed for it.

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/corporate/contact-us/

And select: O Complaint - I have a problem with a Dealer or product.

Fill in the details, and let the company take care of his ignorance.

No Stihl saws with M-tronic have carb adjusting holes in them. Currently the M-tronic saws all have C on the side badges, as for now at least M-tronic is considered a convenience feature.

Basically your dealer there does not know snot about Stihl saws, and sadly that is common in a lot of places. Stihl pricing is set by distributor region, and they frown heavily on any mis-labeling or attempts at gouging. If they are like most Stihl shops here, they have saw models and prices listed online. I would just ignore them. Why waste the time informing him about his ignorance, when he is obviously so proud of it. I would write the company a letter and inform them that their dealer is a turd, and needs some adjusting toward would be customers, such as yourself. That usually gets a lot better result, and the dealer will have to account for his actions.
You're probably right. I think I'll go in and take photos of the saws and tags, to attach to my Email to Stihl.
Unfortunately, good dealers are getting hard to find. A lot of these guys are only concerned with moving units and don't know or care about service after the sale.

walkers saw shop is about the only dealer even close to me who even knows what m-tronic/autotune is. mention it to others and they scratch their head. shameful really. how are these idiots supposed to service the saws they sell if they don't have a clue.

Better than email just call still tech support and tell them ur problem and I guarantee you by the next day that dealer will call crying and apologizing if he wants to keep his dealership! Trust me, I've been through this already. Just call with your complaint and dealers name and Stihl will be all over him!!!!

Its amazing how some of these places are in business, really. I am just a saw user and I know 10x what the dealers around here do. But then, I do all my own saw work and I have flipped and exported a lot of saws. I generally do not make such complaints, because I complained about a Walgreens Rx once. The manager called me, asking for names, time, details, then he asked me how he could do better. I said I was not the manager of his store, and was not going to waste my time resolving his problems in the pharmacy. He called me several times after that, as I would not give them a customer satisfied rating. They are on the hook to make you happy.

I had a similar situation with my Toyota Tundra. The dealer was a jerk and gave me BS when they were required to fix my transfer case under warranty. They kept the truck overnight, and did not offer me a rental. I called the manager and complained, and they refused again. So I dug up my truck warranty and I quoted the Toyota warranty agreement that stated clearly that they would give me a rental if repairs required the truck be in the shop overnight. So they reluctantly got me a rental truck. I then refused to give them a customer satisfied rating. Again, they were then on the hook to make me happy. That dealership was only interested in the rating, and not the service. So they had the reception desk gal call and ask if I was satisfied. I said no! So the service desk guy called me a week later, and asked again. I said no! So the service manager called me the next week, and I said no. He started to argue with me, saying that they had fixed the truck. I said the truck was not the issue, the way they did the repairs and refused me a rental was. So a week later the general manager called, and we had some choice words. I told him to F off. So a week later the owner of the dealership called. It was the SOS. I gave him an earful, told him to quit calling, and requested a number to call Toyota Corp. to complain. He hung up on me. I did not hear anything more, but I wrote a steaming letter to Toyota Motors Corp. That dealership was not around much longer, as their service was crappy for everyone. I also found out that there are dealers that have Presidents Awards. Those are the Toy Dealers that are the best, and they will fight to keep their award status. The rest are not so good, at least the ones I have been to.

Windthrown ive found the same to be true here in Natchitoches , La. 3 gold stihl dealerships in our town and all three have given me bs info because they were clueless. One mechanic of Stihl for 25 yrs told me that a ms261 came from the factory set at 17000 rpm! cmon!! These guys are gold dealers!!!

I was in a tractor dealer today, who also sells Stihl. He had ms261's and ms362's on the shelf. They were tagged and priced as CM saws. When I pointed out that the saws were the plain carb models, the owner of the dealership got pretty indignant and told me I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.
Neither of the models had a C on the starter cover and all (six total) of the saws had holes in the covers for carb adjustment.

Apologize and say you'd like to start over. Ask him to explain the M feature and why it costs more. Then ask him why the adjustment holes are present.

Bonus points if you get it on video. :popcorn:

I was hanging out at one of our local Stihl dealer last week (picking up parts and testing the new owners). They thought that if the quarter turn clips holding the top cover (Ms 261, 362...) were black, it meant it was an M-Tronic! At least, they did listen to me when I told them only the C models were M-Tronic (It's a small town and one of the new employees had already heard about me). They thanked me for the info (!).

Just another example of a Stihl dealer not knowing what the Hell is going on.

Seems like for very 3 or 4 dealers that know their stuff, there's 3-4 times that many that don't.

Is it really that tough to run a decent (good) saw shop? I mean, it's not like it's rocket science.

No!!!!!! Its called only wanting to make the money and not giving a **** about the product!!! IMO, Still pro products are the best made but 75% of the dealers don't pride themselves on their product. They only want to sell the name!! Pisses me off! They would be better off to sell in a box if they don't get a hold on some of these dealers! To the dealers who pride themselves with the product and customer satisfaction, hats off to you!! Thank you! For those of you who have good dealers be very thankful!!

A lot of this I can relate to when dealing with different gun shops....now that can be an arrogant crowd there...:laugh: But hey I got a good stihl dealer that's been run by his family for over 45 years. You walk in there and its not very fancy but authentic saw shop IMO.

I stopped back at the Tractor dealer today to photo the tags and saws. All of the tags had been changed to the proper, non CM, ones. The owner was no where in sight. I asked the counter guy about the saws and tags. He claimed to know nothing about the saws having the wrong tags.
I get down where the dealer is located, on an occasional basis. I plan on stopping by when I'm down that way, just to see if it happens again.
Since the tags were changed, I'm assuming it was a mistake and the owner was too much of an arrogant prick to admit it.....we'll see.

Latest posts

Back