Stihl 280 CQS or 260 Pro ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If given a choice would you purchase the Stihl 260 Pro or the 280 CQS?

• Stihl 280 CQS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moze

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello to all...I found this site the other day by entering "Stihl vs. Husqvarna" in Google. I was pretty impressed by the wealth of information available here.
I'm hoping to get some input on the two saws mentioned above (Stihl 280 CQS & Stihl 260 Pro) by some of you who are more experienced than I.

First of all, here is my chainsaw experience in a nutshell: Close to 10 years ago, I bought an older 024 for about $75. Then I found an 044 at a pawn shop and traded my 024 and $100 for it. As you all know, the 044 is a screamer. At the time, I was getting logs delivered to my place and the 044 made short work of them.

Again, that was 10 years ago, and my current need is simply to fell a large Bradford Pear in my yard. I know even the above saws are more than I need, but, first of all, I'm a huge 'tool guy' and second of all, I like good, solid stuff. I don't want one of the little saws. If I'm going to buy one, I want a GOOD saw that I'll be happy with for years to come.

I've narrowed it down to the two above.

The 260 Pro is appealing because of the steel construction of the engine as opposed to the magnesium or whatever it is on the others. Per the reps I've talked to, the steel engine housing is the main thing that classifies this as a "Pro" (if anyone can confirm or expand on that, I would appreciate it). Add in the fact that the power to weight ratio is exceptional makes the Pro pretty appealing.

The 280 CQS is appealing because it has slightly more horses under the hood, is less expensive and has some nifty bells and whistles - the Elasto Start, the Quick Chain Adjust. It also has the additional QS braking system, which none of the reps seems to be able to verify as being a good feature or otherwise. I guess the saw is too new (?).

Sorry for the rambling (sometimes it helps to hear yourself talk. Or type.) Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum

I'd go for the 026.

I've got an 038magII series saw, which is similar to the 044, and I can understand why you would want a smaller saw for general work. It pays to buy a quality machine, for what it sounds like you're going to use it for, the 026 will last forever.

Welcome to the forum. There is no 'steel' in any modern chainsaw engine housing. Magnesium has been the metal of choice for a LONG time. The 'qs' feature has been around a while on the 036. Basically it's just another way to activate the chain brake, an extra measure of safety can't be a bad thing. Many pro users opted not to pay for the feature so it was dropped from the MS-361 which replaced the 036/MS-360. I like the smoothness of the 280 but I went for the 361. The MS-260 PRO or the 'base' MS-260 are both built on the same chassis, the pro has an adjustable oiler and the base does not, there are carb differences as well but these are academic.

Thanks for the input...Let me expand a little now...I won't be using this for day-to-day cutting. It was either pay someone to cut the tree or buy a saw. And what guy wouldn't rather have a new tool even if he doesn't use it a bunch? If the ocassion arises in the future, I'm sure they'll both last me.

Any idea what the rpm's are on these two? I assume that's what would decide whch ones cuts faster (coupled with the horsepower of course).

Since I've been out of 'the industry' for a while...what's the scoop on the Dolmar's? I know they used to be Sachs (sp?) Dolmar and had a flawless reputation. From reading some of the posts, I see they've been acquired by Makita. So are there places where they're readily available? I guess my understanding was that Dolmars were always pretty much about the best you could get with Stihl and Husky's close, close behind...And Sedanman - that is a TIGHT saw my friend...looks like it's ready to sprout legs and go cut something down on its own! Nice saw.

Since I own both the 280 and several 260's get the 260 and open the muffler. The air filter lacks on the 280.I put a home made green wheenie on the 280. As Paul stated if you want a little more saw which most do after a awhile get the 361. I would surmise very rarely to people trade down in saw compares to up. Did you look at the Husqvarna 357xp. Glens he's all yours now.

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know how to "open the muffler" or what a green wheenie" is.

I hadn't really looked at the Husky's since I was so happy with my last Stihl. But I'm open to considering them. Does anyone sell Dolmar's? Or are they only known as Makita's now?

Dolmar is alive and well, however, unless your willing to wait for a while, they really don't have a standout saw in the size you're looking for. Right now the have the best 80cc and 70cc class saws on the market, the PS-7900 and PS-7300. Then there is a PS-6400, which is on the same chasis as the larger two, so it is a little weight disadvantaged for a 64cc saw, but it is pro quality none the less. Then the next step down is the PS-540, which you'll find very similar to the older 115. The 115 was a screamer, but the PS-540 has been choked down to meet EPA standards and has lost some power. It would be comparable to the 026 (MS260) in weight and quality, but with a little less power and older control design. Now, Dolmar is supposed to release the new PS-5000 anytime soon, which will be what you would want to wait for. This saw is supposed to be the next 50cc class leader, and judging by the PS-7900, there is no reason to think it won't be.

Last edited:
Moze, The saw in that picture is a Dolmar 7900 with an extreme example of an "opened up muffler". Opening up the muffler is modifying it to allow it the saw to exhale more easily, this helps it inhale better as well. It can be done so the casual observer cannot tell it has been done. It will require a carb adjustment to bring the mixture back to normal. Do a search on muffler mods, you'll have a few days worth of reading.

Thanks again to all of you for your replies. There's a new Dolmar on Ebay for 319 - not sure if it's a good deal or not. It is about $125 cheaper than the 260 though...any thoughts...?

That's the PS-540 on ebay. It's the lightest 54cc saw you'll find. It is a proven durable design, that will last a lifetime. There are some Makita versions (DCS-540) on ebay for even less (under $300). It, however, won't be the fastest, won't have the niftiest gadgets (especially like the MS280), and still utilizes the outboard clutch design. I do like running the PS-540 though. They have a light, controlable feel, and are pleasant to use.

Makita DCS-540

The Dolmar PS540 is a good solid weel built saw. I have a PS520i (the 540's little brother) I sold my 026 to help pay for the Stihl MS-361 and that left a hole in my saw collection at the 50cc size. I would put the 520i or the 540 against my 026 any day. You will be happy with the 540.

Sedanman, the 520i, even though it is smaller, was rated at 3.3Hp. The PS540 has been dropped to 3.0Hp. The old 115 was rated 3.6Hp. Thank you EPA. The link I attached to the Makita saw mistakenly shows the Horsepower still rated at 3.3. You are right, though, you can't complain about the way they're built. There's just something about it when you use it that makes you think quality.

Thanks Tony. Thanks everyone...

Decisions, decisions. I guess if I were going to be doing a ton of cutting, I would opt for the 260 Pro. But I'm not, so I may go for the less expensive but higher horsepowered, more bells and whistles 280 CQS, unless I hear about some major problem someone knows of. I mean it comes with the quick chain adjuster which I've gone in and played with a few times and thought was pretty cool, the ElastoStart (not a big deal), and the decompression valve.

If there were more Dolmar dealers/part suppliers around, I would opt for the Dolmar just because I like having stuff most people don't know of. There's just something magical about showing up with something that you know people are throwing 'what-the-heck-is-that' looks at, and then blowing their minds with it. :)

Parts are readily available for the Dolmar line, you just have to know where to go. I had a customer call today wanting an air filter for a 120 Sachs-Dolmar. He took it to the local Stihl dealer and they proceeded to tell him to tie a rope to it and use it as a boat anchor, because it's obsolete and parts aren't available. I just ordered a filter for a 117 with no problem, and it's the same filter in both saws. As usual, the customer swears by his Sachs, and he wants it fixed. He sure was glad to learn the parts are out there.

I know what you mean about having a quality tool in a unfamiliar brand. I have a Solo 651 (51cc 4.0Hp chainsaw) that has raised a few eyebrows in the past. It gets even more fun after you run a modified saw!

Last edited:
Hey now - don't start throwing yet another brand at me - I'm having a hard enough time deciding as it is! :) I don't know much (anything) about Solo's.

Anyway, that Dolmar on Ebay is tempting. Especially since I'm not a regular every day cutter...just need to fell this tree and have a good saw kicking around for those just-in-case situations.

Support for the Makita/Dolmar line is out there and you can find it, Solo on the the other hand............................harder to find, much harder.

Thanks Sedan...good to know. You mentioned earlier that you would put that Dolmar 540 up against the Stihl 260 Pro...So in your opinion, that would be a better buy than the 260 or 280?

The jury really is still out on the MS280.  It's got a much better anti-vibe suspension than the MS260, at least by design if not in practice (I don't recall running either saw, certainly not the MS280).  I'm currently evaluating an MS361 in direct comparison to my 036 and so far at least a half dozen people who I've "made" run both back-to-back give the definite nod to the MS361 even if it might be ever so marginally slower (I haven't timed them yet).

The MS280 has a horizontally-split crankcase if I'm not mistaken, and that is looked-down-upon by many here as relegating it to a homeowner-quality tool.  I feel that is unfair because the saws really have not been in service long enough to say whether they are inferior to the old-school "pro" models in terms of longevity.

I like the idea of the rear-handle brake actuation, and the quick-adjuster on the chain is a masterpiece, but you still need your scrench to flip the bar.

If all you do is occasionally use the saw, you might not want to open the muffler.&nbsp; Sure, the saw will like not having the heat retained so much if you do, but the attendant noise increase might not be worth it to <i>you</i>.

Whichever saw you ultimately decide upon, I advise you to not accept it with the RM2 chain, but instead have the dealer install an RM or RS.

Good luck choosing!&nbsp; I think you're certainly on the right track.

If you want to evaluate a Dolmar, you can rent one in Makita blue at your local Home Depot.

Glen

Latest posts

Back