stihl 291??? any better than 290??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let me add..

..that though we assume already that it's a pure clamshell, and that the bottom piece isn't molded to the casing like newer 'plastic' chainsaws, I find this saw way better engineered and thought of than the sturdy 290. I'm just saying I will have a 290 as an everlasting back-of-the-truck backup saw. Prolonged use? Naaaah.. gimme my 291 back! Lol :)

..that though we assume already that it's a pure clamshell, and that the bottom piece isn't molded to the casing like newer 'plastic' chainsaws, I find this saw way better engineered and thought of than the sturdy 290. I'm just saying I will have a 290 as an everlasting back-of-the-truck backup saw. Prolonged use? Naaaah.. gimme my 291 back! Lol :)
Well, I guess only time will tell on my repair criticism. I guess working on an 034, an 046, a 660, and several other saws spoiled me. These saws seemed so much easier than the 290 because of the way the major parts fit together. I have yet to tear my 290 all the way down, but it appears to be somewhat of a challenge. Perhaps that situation has improved with the 291.

Cheers!

It's like excersize I guess........?

Well, I guess only time will tell on my repair criticism. I guess working on an 034, an 046, a 660, and several other saws spoiled me. These saws seemed so much easier than the 290 because of the way the major parts fit together. I have yet to tear my 290 all the way down, but it appears to be somewhat of a challenge. Perhaps that situation has improved with the 291.

Cheers!

I operate the 290 a couple of times: 1st was 'rescue' attempt, 2nd was converting to the 64cc Nikasil P&C :)

If I come across a scored 290 for a good value -- I will not hesitate to grab it, order another 64cc Nikasil set -- and use it or give it to my dad!!
This thing more than barks after you make that!

And let me tell you.. I mean, I'll try to make a point.. - for me it was like learning the MS200T with my bare hands + reading tons of stuff over here and so on..
When you wait for good days to start a rebuild - and then again to move on with it -- it surely makes it ten times more rewarding. Plus - you learn all kinds of tweaks, shortcuts and things you can just do better and faster, which makes the d*mn hard parts of the process WAAAAY more tolerable - and no longer 'scary'! :) :D

Yes, I thought I really hate clam-shell while indulging on the rebuild of the MS240 and fixing stuff on any of my MS200T's now that I know it almost like the palms of my hands, but I assure you - even a clam-shell MS290 has it's privileges when it comes to sitting down in front of the bench to replace the C&P! All you have to do is CLEAN the bast*rd well, I recommend a pressure washer or something, and then it's dirty work no more - you can see clearly where you're heading and what you're doing.
Lose that thing that makes the thought of opening it up as somewhat of a nightmare, or a torture, and you're on the right track! :)

You know what? You can even find a couple of busted 290's or even mix together a 310(s) and 390(s) - and as soon as you have enough parts - give it a nice big bore Nikasil heart, and just mess around with it :D You should know that these babies can take some 'abuse' and never stop.. lllooollll...

Sorry it's kinda long, I just set down and started typing.. maybe I got carried away, but I hope you'll understand my CAD..... :taped:

BTW , something tells me that the new series of these farm saws, and not only, are a lot easier to assemble/dis-assemble..
I know a little but enough about STIHL to figure out that these guys never leave out the need of the improvement of the production duration..

Take care!

PainAndMurphy Jo

They seem to have joined them all to the same family now.. though not sure if the same size chasis, but now they share same features, just in different sizes.. even the 251 though considered the largest homeowner saw.. Yea.. no more 270/280 with magnesium alloy case, guess it was too good for farmers in STIHL's POV.. who knows.. and me? I'm curious mostly since I'm about to receive an MS290C-BEQ for cooling my CAD.. seriously :) I had good experience with an MS250C except the useless quick-tentioning, and I know how nice Primer Bulb + Easy2Start (when you're in peace with it and fully understand exactly how to touch it) features can be when you're up there in the little 30ft 1981 field bucket crane :) I swear guys, these two CAN be helpful :) Jo.

I usually buy and use used saws but I don't care for primer bulbs and the extra fuel lines that accompany them. My old saws start pretty good without them. I really don't like the Stihl easy start thingy but I do like the Elasto Start on bigger saws.

The 270 and 280's were good except their tendency to rip out the front
AV spring and tear intake boots. An bit over priced but decent saws.

The 271, 261, 291 for the millionth time are based on the same platform
261 being pro saw, and 271, 291 being modular engined saws.

The 271/291 are far and away better than the 290.

I do know where you're coming from, sir..

I usually buy and use used saws but I don't care for primer bulbs and the extra fuel lines that accompany them. My old saws start pretty good without them. I really don't like the Stihl easy start thingy but I do like the Elasto Start on bigger saws.

Elasto is a great thing and does what it should: easy on the hand and wrist, and easy on the recoil mechanism. I love it. I'm perfectly familiar with the pros and cons of every extra feature.. just that when you catch the drift of the Easy2Start, and use high grade fuel lines for the bulb, what seems like an interference - became a bonus in firewood cutting, limbing, and up on the bucket crane - as soon as I mastered the previously awfully odd starter.. :)
Had it on the MS250C-BE , and now on the MS291C-BEQ since it was on sale for a very attractive price. What I actually don't care for are the Quickstop and the Quick-Tensioning.. eewww... but I guess time will tell if they last my way with saws, which is non-abusive.... lol

as far as I know..

The 270 and 280's were good except their tendency to rip out the front
AV spring and tear intake boots. An bit over priced but decent saws.

The 271, 261, 291 for the millionth time are based on the same platform
261 being pro saw, and 271, 291 being modular engined saws.

The 271/291 are far and away better than the 290.

..the 261 doesn't belong to thhis family, though the outlines makes it looks like their twin bro.
It's a magnesium/alloy case unlike the 271 & 291, guys correct me if I'm wrong.
The previous models 270 & 280 sported a magnesium/alloy crank-case as well which made them seem more attractive to some of us, but now discontinued. It's over. Now they're re-born to this family we're talking about here.

What I also wonder, and pardon me if I repeat myself, is that if the 311 & 391 have a bigger chassis than the 291, or the same like it was on the previous generation..

Jo.

What I also wonder, and pardon me if I repeat myself, is that if the 311 & 391 have a bigger chassis than the 291, or the same like it was on the previous generation..

Jo.

The 271 and 291 are built on the same chassis which is a little smaller than the 311-391 chassis. So basically the 290 got a touch smaller with the 291. The 291 kind of replaces two saws the 280 and the 290.

Elasto is a great thing and does what it should: easy on the hand and wrist, and easy on the recoil mechanism. I love it. I'm perfectly familiar with the pros and cons of every extra feature.. just that when you catch the drift of the Easy2Start, and use high grade fuel lines for the bulb, what seems like an interference - became a bonus in firewood cutting, limbing, and up on the bucket crane - as soon as I mastered the previously awfully odd starter.. :)
Had it on the MS250C-BE , and now on the MS291C-BEQ since it was on sale for a very attractive price. What I actually don't care for are the Quickstop and the Quick-Tensioning.. eewww... but I guess time will tell if they last my way with saws, which is non-abusive.... lol

I bought a couple of extra Elasto Start assemblies in case I need them on another brand of saw. My Stihl saws all have one I think.

MM my 291C-BEQ..

think it's worth it? hmm..

these few days has passed without any need of this cool saw..

I tried using another new saw just for kicks and for break-in purpose - removing stubborn bushes from the base (Dolmar PS460), but then after about a half an hour I switched back to the little MM'ed ECHO CS360T (with unleashed carb') ..

I wish next week some tree work will come.. I reallyyy wanna break in my new STIHL....... :chainsaw:

Jo.

bummer..

The 271 and 291 are built on the same chassis which is a little smaller than the 311-391 chassis. So basically the 290 got a touch smaller with the 291. The 291 kind of replaces two saws the 280 and the 290.

There goes the hopes to make it big bore someday.. lol.. :msp_wink:
But thanks for supplying this anticipated answer :clap:

Silly Q here: Did STIHL put Primer on any of the 311 and/or 391??

Well, seems like 55 is as big as this smart-ass features-loaded bast*rd is gonna be..
And also that's the largest saw possible to have E2S..

'kay.. whatever..

I wish I could've got rid of this quick-tension crap..

Jo.

New guy here, I have the plan 291 its almost 1lb less then the old 290 its the easiest saw I have ever started 3 pulls every time. Two pulls if your fast to get the choke off. I have cut 5 cords of wood, most of it hickory and the saw will get it done. I can over fill a 8ft bed in 45 min, on one tank of gas. I am crazy happy with the saw the AV is super. It's like your not running a saw at all. I run a 16 in bar on mine and I never have to tighten the chain the oil system must work great. I am waiting for someone to mod one of these saws. But it has great power stock, and a big power band.

well.. it's been a while.. mine got several tanks gone through it.. I must mention again the Easy2Start thing which works flawlessly when used right (NO EFFORT OR SPEED IS NEEDED!!).. I put full-chiseled .325" on it, and this puppy seems to LOOOOOVE the wood :) Though it's not fully broken-in yet, it was an awesome deal!

Question: Does ANYBODY know if the 291/271 can be 'downgraded' from the unnecessary Quick-Tensioning??

Back