Stihl 310 Debate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Brett, a newbie to this site. Love cutting and tinkering so I'm really looking forward to to becoming a productive member of this website.

I've been running Stihls for a long time and currently have a 200t and a 441 Magnum 30". I'm needing a "middle" saw.

There's a Stihl 310 on local Craigslist that looks like new for $280 minus bar and chain. Looks like new but the seller isn't the original owner so can't tell me how much time, if any, is on the saw. He doesn't have any objections to me bringing a bar and chain over, getting it to operating temp, and cutting to test it under a load.

EDIT: If you read down you'll see that I've pretty much ruled this saw out. He says he's firm and it's not the best saw for what I need and, as has been pointed out, there's better saws to be had for the money. Don't hesitate to make suggestions though. One post reminded my of my old 026 Pro and that they can be bought reasonable. I've liked my Stihls but I have Echo, Dolmar, and Husky dealers local so I'm open to suggestions.

I cut a lot of hedge for my parents each year so my new saw will see some hard use. For you 310 owners, is the 310 up to that kind of use? Assuming this saw is as excellent as it looks, what are your thoughts on the price?
Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I had a 310 I bought in 2002. Not a bad saw. I ran a 16" bar on it and it worked good. I also did a muffler mod on it and it woke it up a bit. I agree with murph you might be able to get into a pro saw for that price. After it was stolen I replaced with a 261 and it has a lot more power and is lighter.

Welcome to AS!

W/o a B&C that is steep for a 310. I paid $190 for the near new one that I have with a 20 inch 3/8 B&C, at a pawn shop of all places. That was an exceptional price, and they did not know what they had. I would offer $225 if it is in really good shape. I have paid up to $250 for good ones, but usually with cases and/or in really great shape. If it is a beater, just walk away from it. People think they have gems if it has a Stihl label on it.

As for 310 saws, they are the best of the 1127 line in my opinion. I have owned many of them, as well as the 029, 290, and 390 in the series. The 029, 290 and 390 have a lot more vibration, the 310 is the smoothest. The 029 is underpowered, and the 029 Super and 290 (same saw, really) are not as powerful, they have smaller crabs and they rev pretty low. The 310 s the sweet spot, and can be easily modified to have the same power as a stock 390. Modified that way they do not quite cut with my stock 361.

If you want a better pro saw look for a good used 034 Super, 036 or 360, which are all really the same saw. Or get a good used 361/362. They will set you back about $350. There have also been some good used 034s on this site sold for about what that guy wants for the 310, shipped to your door. You cold also get a good 026 or 260 for that price.

BTW: a 310 has more power than a 261. A 310 has 4 HP stock, a 261 has 3.75 HP. Modify the 310 muffler and you will be up around 4.2+ HP. A 361 is a different story. Better saw all around.

Last edited:
I had a 310 I bought in 2002. Not a bad saw. I ran a 16" bar on it and it worked good. I also did a muffler mod on it and it woke it up a bit. I agree with murph you might be able to get into a pro saw for that price. After it was stolen I replaced with a 261 and it has a lot more power and is lighter.
Don't forget to give it some ignition timing as well. They like that!

Thanks for the replies. It looks to be in excellent shape but I want to get an idea of what they go for nationwide, not just local. Something I've just noticed is that this saw is only a half pound lighter than my 441 on paper. If the specs are true I may consider just buying a 18 or 20 inch chain for the 441. It would be nice to have a dedicated mid-size saw but I could save a lot of money by going this route. Now I'm just adding to my own dilemma.:dizzy:

Get an 026 or a 260 then. The 1127 saws are heavy, yes. They are also homeowner saws. Nationally the 290s list for $300 where they typically sit on CL. At $200 they sell pretty fast anywhere. You can get a good used 026 for the same price. They do not get the respect that they deserve.

Here locally I would sell a nice MS310 with a bar & chain for $275. Sounds like the apple of your eye is in excellent condition from what you know based on the ad, so the asking price would be fair if it wasn't a powerhead only. Either negotiate in a b&c or get him down in the $250 range. The last MS310 I got my hands on was also from a pawn shop and I paid $160 out the door and it had a 20" bar & chain. It was in decent condition - I would have rated it a 6 or 7 out of 10 - and I sold it after a cleanup & tuning for $250.

I had a 026 Pro bought in 2000 or 2001 I think. It was an awesome saw! It was stolen. I've been keeping my eyes open for another one or a 036. As familiar as I am with the Stihl saws, I've never really known the difference between the 026 and 026 Pro, besides the decompression valve. I've seen them marked both ways

026/260 PRO saws have a decomp and an adjustable oil pump. That is the only difference. Non adjustable pumps wet the bar just fine, but they tend to puddle oil when they idle.

I agree. I'd lost sight of the fact that a good 026 or 260 could be had for the same price. I'll have to expand my search a bit down in to OK and other parts of KS. Neal has a nice 262 that's tempting me to though. It looks like the classifieds here have some really reputable sellers so I may do just as well or better to buy from one of them. Decisions decisions... Thanks for the input and the kind welcomes and keep the info coming if there are others comparable to the 026 that you have used and like. I have Echo, Husky, Stihl and Dolmar dealers here so it's not unusual to find them on cl.

Latest posts

Back