Stihl 362 with 25 or 28 bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlburnin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 362 with a muff mod and a 20" bar. Runs strong, great saw.
I want to put a bigger bar on, 25 or 28. Is 28 too big?
And should I run a skip chain?
Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

All depends what you are cutting. We run 362's with 25" bars and RSF (skip) Stihl chain with no issues in Birch which isn't that hard of a hardwood.

ive never been a fan of running any longer bar than a 20'' on a 60cc saw

I run a 25" on mine but I have found it works much better with full skip chain.

If it's your biggest saw 25" will work ok. Skip is a good choice. Cutting hardwood? Keep your chain sharp and don't lower your rakers excessively, and set your carb in the wood for best torque.

Do not fear the long bar! I run 25 inch bars on my 036 and 361s all the time, full skip or full comp (wood depending). A 362 will run a 25" just fine. As will a 034 Super, 036, 360 and 361. The problems start when you run a 28 inch on a 034 Super, 036, 360, 361, or 362 because the oil pumps are not designed to wet a bar that size. They all have the same stock oil pump output. If you want to run a 28 on your 362, you want to upgrade the oil pump on it. Swap out the oil pump with a 460R oil pump or parts and it will keep the bar oiled. See my old AS post on doing that here (the oil pump in the 362 is the same part number as the 361):

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/the-361-options-and-mods-thead.84068/#post-1282969

I'm sure you can do it with skip chain - but I also am sure that I would hate the balance and handling of the saw.

You may be different though, and it is your decision.....

Go with the 25" if you must. A 362 will handle it but it will be much happier with the 20" and probably you too. BTW I have run a 25" for many years on a 036Pro in hardwood but IMO it is really marginal for falling trees requiring that length. It now wears a 20". I have a 25" on a 362 and a 20" on a 362 both used for bucking - you can really tell the difference if you are actually using the full bar length in hardwood. Ron

I am running a 20" bar on my ported 60cc saw and it's perfect. I would not run a longer bar for regular use

I just ran a 28" bar on my ported 70cc saw and while it did work well you couldn't really lean on it. The 70cc saw will be happier with a 24" bar . I am hoping the Sugihara 24" bar gets here soon.

I ran a 20" blade on my MS 362. For my comfort level the oiler was at its max with that length guide. If you do need a longer bar, you will need more oil.

thanks for the info. I almost went with a 28, but thought I better check you guys first. I think I will go with a 25 and a full skip.
Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
I am running a 20" bar on my ported 60cc saw and it's perfect. I would not run a longer bar for regular use

I just ran a 28" bar on my ported 70cc saw and while it did work well you couldn't really lean on it. The 70cc saw will be happier with a 24" bar . I am hoping the Sugihara 24" bar gets here soon.

Even a 20" bar will make many 60cc saws front heavy, specially if it is an RSN one. The MS362 is quite heavy for a 60cc saw, but I don't think it is enough to really matter much in that setting.

My (lighter) MS361 is a little front heavy even with an 18" Rollomatic E (a light laminated bar).

Imo, a 20" bar mainly is 70cc+ territory, unless it is just for occational use, when really needed.

Never mind the West Coast guys, they are so used to running overly long bars that they don't know what balance is.:D

My ported 60cc is a Jonsered 2260 Ported by Tlandrum. It takes the small Husky mount bar and is currently wearing an Oregon Pro Lite 20" 3/8 .050 bar. The saw is very well balanced with the 20" Pro Lite Bar
and is really my go to saw. I would not want an 18" bar on this saw as the 20" bar feels perfect. I would also not want a longer than 20" bar on this saw either. If I had to have just one saw, it would be the ported 2260.

IMG_1605.jpg

Latest posts

Back