Stihl 440 460 any opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea (sort of)

if jdc can pull a 32 gently with his 440, then you should be able to handle it with the 460 okay. There is no justification for the extra $$ to have a larger powerhead. Crank the oiler all the way up, and it still won't be enough (marginal on my 28").:cheers:

If a 460 can't pull a 32" as some are suggesting, I'm dang glad to be a Dolmar guy! My 73cc Dolmar does fine with a 34" bar, skip chain, and a little common sense (very little some tell me :hmm3grin2orange:) on the odd times I need more than the 24" it normally uses.

The 460 should do what you need it to do, and you may find yourself using it more often than you think if you get it. It's still reasonably sized for a guy to swing all day. Go to a 660, and you're either a weightlifter or a masochist to run one all day if it's not absolutely necessary. It's more of a big wood specialty saw.

Hi Jack
We use 32 in. bars on our 460s all the time when needed with no problems. All of our 460s are 460Rs which clears chips and oils in a way to compliment the use of 32 in. bars. Use a sharp chain, supply adaquate bar oil and clear the chips from the saw and you will be fine.

Yes the 460R has the high output oiler and a few other cool accessories. Like the guys said, a 460 will handle a 32" bar no problem, you just have to take your time. And if you find you are using it more often and would like a bit more power for the bigger stuff get it ported later on.

I have a ported 460R and would much rather carry it around than the 660 for the odd big job.

thanks for all the info will go down to my local guy he likes seeing me and maybe i can take it for a test run. will let you know how it goes.

A 460 with a ho oiler will pull skip decent like that. A 440 doesn't give you the option for an ho oiler so I usually won't use one for over a 28" bar.

A 460 with a ho oiler will pull skip decent like that. A 440 doesn't give you the option for an ho oiler so I usually won't use one for over a 28" bar.

Yep... It's all about the oiler... Big bar needs a robust oiler... Not just the ability to pull it...
Oh, and I wouldn't pass up this opportunity to justify buying a 5 cube saw...
Just sayin...
:msp_sneaky:

You won't regret it OP...

Why not but a good used saw? I got a husky 2101 for $450 off of the classifieds on this site and I put a 42" bar on it. You say you have 1 tree to cut I think you could get by without purchasing a brand new saw. Look for a good 064 or a 85+ cc saw made by anyone else and just get it done. It seems as though all the manufacturer's have a good option for you.

Why not but a good used saw? I got a husky 2101 for $450 off of the classifieds on this site and I put a 42" bar on it. You say you have 1 tree to cut I think you could get by without purchasing a brand new saw. Look for a good 064 or a 85+ cc saw made by anyone else and just get it done. It seems as though all the manufacturer's have a good option for you.

This is exactly what I did a few years back. Found a decent looking 440 on ebay and it has no problem running a 32" bar. This is by far my least used combination but it sure is nice to have as an option.

I was in a similar spot a few years ago. I have a pin oak in the yard that is dying and its somewhere between 60" and 72" at the base. I also had an ash that was a little over 48" that had blown down in a ravine out in the woods. I was looking at some 460s when I stumbled across a rebuilt 064 with an 066 top end and a new 28" bar and chain for $375. I'm sure someone will want to #$%^ slap me for saying this, but since you're going to use this set up one time, buy a used saw.

On the used market a well used, but well maintained 064, 066, or older 660 seems to go for about $600, sometimes a lot less if your lucky. On the other hand, a 440, or 460 seem to go for at least as much if not more. My advice would be to buy a bigger used saw (doesn't even need to be a Stihl). When you're done with the job you'll have a big saw to show for it. Spending money to go from a 60cc sw to a 70cc saw seems a little silly unless you just enjoy having CAD. On the other hand, it does make a little more sense to spend money to go from a 60cc saw to a 90cc saw :) Especailly since your not looking a significant increase in weight (or cost on the used market). You can also sell a used saw for almost what you have in it. You sure ain't going to be able to do that with a new saw.

For what it's worth, that pin oak is still standing in the yard :) (still haven't bought the bar I need for it). However, the ash has been cut, seasoned, and I finished burning it this year. Turns out that my 064 makes great noodles :) It quickly became my portable log splitter.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Last edited:
Please Advise...

... not sure what you meant by this:

"You can also sell a used saw for almost what you have in it. You sure ain't going to be able to do that with a new saw."

Agreed, you lose dough the minute you walk out of a dealer's shop with a new saw because then it is used. However, unless you repair an old saw (and that usually means money), you will also not receive what you have in it unless you bought it for practically nothing.

In another couple weeks I'll have the answer for you.
I bought a 460R back in Jan. purely for the fact I want to run a 36" bar for my slab jig. I plan on using a 25" for everything else. It was pricey- but it brings a smile to my face every time i fire it up. Only used the 25 so far, and put 3 tanks through it- but I've had the bar buried in an oak and it just keeps wanting more.
I'd never used a 70cc class saw, and am quite green when it comes to cutting, and read all the tales of how a 70+ saw will kick and handle like no other, so I did buy the RSC chain until and planned on using it until I felt comfortable enough with it. Really debating going full skip purely for the 'less teeth to file' advantage though :)
Hoping to get my new jig built this week, and start cutting the next couple after- so That will be the real test of the saw

Adam

660 for 600 in the classifieds. Will pull a 32 nice for half the doe!

That's Bill Balaska's 660 in the F/S adds...I would have no problem buying a saw from him. stand up guy. Will call it straight too. Matter of fact if you had doubts I'd go run it for ya, Im close enough.

if I had only one tree in a perfect situation( wide open-nothing to hit)...I'd borrow a 460 or what ever my nearest buddy had for use. buying a saw for ONE tree seems a bit much for me. And thats from a guy who has waaaaay too many saws to admit it.

... not sure what you meant by this:

"You can also sell a used saw for almost what you have in it. You sure ain't going to be able to do that with a new saw."

Agreed, you lose dough the minute you walk out of a dealer's shop with a new saw because then it is used. However, unless you repair an old saw (and that usually means money), you will also not receive what you have in it unless you bought it for practically nothing.

I think we are saying the same thing here. You take a major hit when buying a new saw. However, if you buy a used saw that has seen a lot of use, but has been well maintained, then you shouldn't need to put any money into it. After cutting the one tree, the OP would be able to sell such a saw for what he has in it, or maybe even a little more if he got it for a good price.

For instance, I got my 036 for $200. I have also seen the same guy sell two different 034 Supers for the same price. The 034s were fresh rebuilds. Mine had been a trade in. The original owner could no longer get it to run. The shop I bought it from simply put the correct plug in it, and it runs like a champ. It still had the original bar on it, and hardly any of the paint had been worn off of it (the bar). At the time that saw could have gone for $300 to $400 on flee bay. My 064 was a fresh rebuild for $375. On both of these saws I could easily get out of them what I paid for them even though I've been using them now for 3 or 4 years. I'm a cheapskate so I prefer to buy older saws for a little bit of nothing. I can see the value in buying a new saw if it's going to be my primairy saw. The extra creature features arent' worth it to me, but I can still see the benifit. But if a saw is going to see limited use at best, then $800+ is a LOT of capitol to have sitting on the shelf for the next 20 years.

I would also agree that for one tree, I'd try to borrow a saw from somebody. Acutally, for a tree that big, if I had a buddy with a big saw who knew how to use it, I'd offer him lunch, a steak dinner, and a case of beer to come over and help me get it down and bucked up with his saw. I mostly cut on my own, but I do have 3 other guys that I cut with from time to time, and for a big saw we just borrow from each other. The only reason I bought the 064 instead of borrowing an 041 from a friend of mine was because of the price. At the time I didn't have any kind of splitter, and while my 036 will noodle, the 064/066 makes much better use of my time.

From the sounds of the last few posts, it looks like there's a really good option for the OP over in the classifieds. With the extra B/C thrown in, a guy should be able to get his money back out of it when the job is finished. Might even be able to hang on to that 20" B/C in the process.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Last edited:
32 inch bar is standard for a 460 and is often found on a 440 here.

238303d1337005004-bob-day0001-jpg

238304d1337005010-chasers-saw0001_3-jpg

238305d1337005016-cutting-open-roads0001-jpg

238306d1337005020-falling-bucolic-setting-fashions0001_1-jpg

View attachment 238303View attachment 238304View attachment 238305View attachment 238306

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;LbtX3syK8vY]http://youtu.be/LbtX3syK8vY[/video]

A long bar lets one stand farther away from potentially troublesome trees, like our Red Alder on a windy day. Watch the ferns blowing in the wind.

Back