Stihl 441 or Jon. 2186

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cary911

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am up in the air. I live in the east but want to put together a west coast saw. Thinking between a Stihl 441 and a jonsered 2186. I want a 32" bar with full skip chain and full wrap handles on either. Can the stihl even pull a 32" bar. Which do you believe looks better. I think the stihls look like toys. The Jonsered looks more like buisiness. Any info could help on either of these saws. Jonsered has a thin market, does anybody in the forestry service even use them?

The two you've mentioned are in a different size class. What is the method to your madness? There is one guy in michigan that likes jonsered and goes by the name "manual" on here. However, I believe he is the only one in the state of michigan that likes them. :)

I am up in the air. I live in the east but want to put together a west coast saw. Thinking between a Stihl 441 and a jonsered 2186. I want a 32" bar with full skip chain and full wrap handles on either. Can the stihl even pull a 32" bar. Which do you believe looks better. I think the stihls look like toys. The Jonsered looks more like buisiness. Any info could help on either of these saws. Jonsered has a thin market, does anybody in the forestry service even use them?
nothing to think about 2186:rock:

Here we go again. another 441 vs the 440 vs the 460 vs 7900 vs the husky vs the blah blah blah. :taped: First question is what are you cutting, do you need the32" bar because that is size wood you are cutting or do you want it for the
reach?

You should be comparing a 460 to the 2186. That will get you size for size saw comparison.
I've got a dual port 046, a friend of mine has a modded 2186. They both cut damn good, with the modded saw coming out slightly ahead of mine (as it should).
They are both good saws, you will do well with either. I would go with a shorter bar on a stock saw though.
If you want a real west coast saw, a full wrap woods modded 660 is the way to fly. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Ed

Im an enthusiast, probably wont use the thing much however, can the 441 even handle the 32" bar if I were to use it. Heard a lot of good about the 441 but not much on the jonsered. I know the weight is comparable considering a 15 cc increase! I like the looks of the 441 but was hoping for a 461. No news so far!

Last edited:
I thought you said you the stihls look like a toy? Now you say you like the looks of them...hmmm. Whatever way you go it seems kinda strange that a paramedic student would be wanting to invest a bunch of money into something he doesn't even plan on using. For how much you planning on using it, whether or not the saw will pull it really doesn't matter much. Why only 32"? Hell put a 60" bar on them....it'll look cooler. :)

Last edited:
2071.jpg
I know its completely rediculous, I had a jonsered 2165 to use on property in the u.p. I loved this saw and eventualy gave it to my father for his property. I had previously owned a stihl 026 which i didnt care for. The new 441 does look exceptional however the rest look like leaf blowers. Ive never owned a pro stihl.

Last edited:
For a 32" bar, just get the 2186, but also consider the MS660 (not that much heavier than the 2186), forget the 441......:greenchainsaw: :)

2186 all the way! The 2186/385 respond well to modifications, and will flat rip with a few improvements.

2071.jpg
I know its completely rediculous, I had a jonsered 2165 to use on property in the u.p. I loved this saw and eventualy gave it to my father for his property. I had previously owned a stihl 026 which i didnt care for. The new 441 does look exceptional however the rest look like leaf blowers. Ive never owned a pro stihl.
that isnt a 2165.2165 doesnt have a quick release cover.

An 026 is a pro stihl. I think a 2186 would suit you fine, but I think you may want to research saws in general more before making a purchase.

I have researched these saws some. I know the specs and some capabilities of them however theres not much info on the Jonny's. People have stated that husqys are a better bet over the jonsereds due to the wimpy filters on the jonsereds, and with such a thin market its hard to tell what the future will bring for jonsered. I was just curious if could even run a 32" bar on a 441 70cc saw.

Last edited:
I guess if your going to be mostly cutting 30"+ hardwoods the 2186 probably isn't your best bet either. Probably more along the lines of a 2195 or an 066 like sawtroll suggested. Since you really didn't give us a good idea of what your application is, its hard for us to point you in a better direction. Of the two models you listed, the 2186 will pull the 32" bar with more authority because it has a larger displacement.

There is nothing wrong with the air filtration of the Jonsereds - the larger filters/high covers on some eqivalent Huskys are mostly not needed, and just add bulk and some weight.

Nice little war brewing here...

Where are you intending to go with the saw. You are from the UP, and going to school. Are you just finishing up your ride time and getting ready to "Go West" where the EMS job market is? Let us know the state, or at least close to it, and the folks on here with make recommendations for the saw you will need.

I pull a 28" with an old Husq 2100 on the old Sugar Maples of Vermont and Mass without a problem. I would assume you are going to be buying a saw for more than just pure vanity. They are both great brands, with their own loyalists, but you need to explain a little more.

Good Luck with the Reg,
Jason

Back