Stihl 441 or Jon. 2186

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I needed a saw to pull a 32" all the time in hardwood I'd go 660. It's only slightly heavier than the 385 and loads more power. It's the heaviest saw I'd want to use all day.

The air filtration may be a bit old school, but if your chains are sharp it's a non-issue.

The two you've mentioned are in a different size class. What is the method to your madness? There is one guy in michigan that likes jonsered and goes by the name "manual" on here. However, I believe he is the only one in the state of michigan that likes them. :)

Grrrrrrrrr........

Says he wants a west coast saw just about automatically make it a Stihl. 460 would be the standard for 32" bar out here. Factory wrap and tall clutch cover all come standard on the 460(R). If its west coast you want thats true west coaster.

Says he wants a west coast saw just about automatically make it a Stihl. 460 would be the standard for 32" bar out here. Factory wrap and tall clutch cover all come standard on the 460(R). If its west coast you want thats true west coaster.

Exactly. A 441 will do fine with a 32" bar occasionally... but if you are dedicating a saw to a 32" bar... a West Coast style MS460 can't be beat.:rock:

Don't listen to the Troll... he thinks every saw should have a 16" bar. Then you have to change the drive sprockets for more or less chain speed depending on the wood.:taped:

Gary

the larger filters/high covers on some eqivalent Huskys are mostly not needed, and just add bulk and some weight.

In all seriousness, just how much weight can a plastic cover and a paper elemnent filter add to a saw?

The higher filter cover at the rear of the saw doesn't really seem to get in the way of anything that I can tell.

Chuck

In all seriousness, just how much weight can a plastic cover and a paper elemnent filter add to a saw?

The higher filter cover at the rear of the saw doesn't really seem to get in the way of anything that I can tell.

Chuck

Just like specs on paper are the only way to compare saws Chuck... keep up mang!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gary

48290958_d2af87a6cc.jpg
Maybe you pnw's are correct in going with a stihl 460. Have any of you seen Jonsered saws being used commercially out there? I just dont want to look like this guy!

Last edited:
ok, so your looking to get a saw because u think it is cool.....and u are worried about how it looks because u think it is cool??!?!?!? u must be running with the wrong crowd. chainsaws are made to be used, dirty, loud, oily and smelly....learn to run a saw and u will be respected. call it cool if u want. i will take being a hard working logger, sweating my tail off swinging my 660 and laying down trees all day in 95-100 degree heat over a rhinestone cowboy with a shiny saw that won't be used. heck if your not gonna use it buy the saw that has colors that u think are purty. u could put u a 42" bar on a 290!! that would be COOL!! atleast that WILD THINGY is being used

i just don't understand

here is a chainsaw for you....046BB (3rd topend)
IMG_0314.jpg

I know where Troll is coming from, and ounces seem to count to him, but gee willikers!!!

I guess that I need to swiss cheese my bar and clutch cover, acid dip my top cover and clutch bell, have my crank knife edged and drilled, and use titanium handles.

Anyone know the specific gravity of gas vs. alcohol, might be able to shave a microgram or two there also! Hows about canola, gots to be lighter than dinosaur squeezins!!

Chuck

Look, relax its supposed to be funny for christ sake! I use ventilation saws every day at the fire dept. and have cut wood since i was 15. I have property in the u.p. that needs to be cleared. The 2165 is gone and I want a bigger saw for not only clearing the land but for all around use. I dont feel comfortable with smaller bars and was wondering which saw is better. I will not use a 32" all the time, however there is some large oaks on the property. I was just curious to know what the guys use on the west coast and get some info on the two!

I know where Troll is coming from, and ounces seem to count to him, but gee willikers!!!

I guess that I need to swiss cheese my bar and clutch cover, acid dip my top cover and clutch bell, have my crank knife edged and drilled, and use titanium handles.

Anyone know the specific gravity of gas vs. alcohol, might be able to shave a microgram or two there also! Hows about canola, gots to be lighter than dinosaur squeezins!!

Chuck

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Sure yer from the mid west:chainsaw:

As to which saw to pick...I'm afraid I can't advise you there.

I do know that, for hardwoods and a 32" bar, a 70cc saw is gonna run out of @ss pretty quick. For occasional use in hardwoods, yeah...maybe. I consider the 28" bar on my 2171 to be the max, and again that's a rare occasion.

As to the rest of it...no experience on my end with either a 441 or a 2186.

If you're looking at a 2186 in this area, you probably already know about Elliott Saw Works in Ferndale. If not, you should really get to know them. Best in the area, regardless of brand. They're also the second best in the area, and I hate to say it...yup, you guessed it...tied for third too.

Thank You, I called Elliots a while ago and he didnt have any 2186's. I believe hes the only jonsered dealer around. He also said he believes they discontinued full wraps on the 2186 which sounded strange. Its nice to have input from outsided sources seeing how a lot of dealers are unsure! Thank You again!

Thank You, I called Elliots a while ago and he didnt have any 2186's. I believe hes the only jonsered dealer around. He also said he believes they discontinued full wraps on the 2186 which sounded strange. Its nice to have input from outsided sources seeing how a lot of dealers are unsure! Thank You again!

The 2171 is usually the largest they stock, but I'm sure they'd be moooooore than happy to order you a 2186. Of course, that doesn't do you any good if you just wanna get your hands on one, I know...

A guy named spike60 here can give you the goods on whether or not a full wrap is available. You'd have to look pretty hard to find anything here in SE Michigan with a full wrap. Our biggest hill is an overpass.

The thing Elliott has going for 'em is their service. They can tell a blocked canooter valve by smell. Hell I once saw Don diagnose a burned fetzer valve without even pulling the radiator off the saw.

Last edited:
why not a 372xpw with a 32 inch bar? or a 385xpw? you can find these all day long.
my 372 will pull all 32" in scrub oak. I have had it buried all the way in a 45"+ tree stump before. I am looking to get a 24" bar soon which will give me more versatilly in the woods. plus appease sawtroll (newbie AS subscriber learning quick :) )
huskypower.jpg

Last edited:
Back