Stihl 441...yes or no?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Came across a deal on a Stihl 441, but not sure if I should take a chance on it or not. Cranks easily and runs well, seems to have good compression. Only concern, the muffler is loose and has been run that way a while...enough so that it's contacting (and melted) the bar side of the inside case. It's also missing one of the top cover screws, but other than that it's in good shape. Has a 28" bar and good chain, and I should be able to get it for $300.

Is the muffler issue enough of a concern to pass on the saw? I can tell that one of the muffler bolts holding to the cyl head is gone, as is one of the muffler cover screws. Should I take a chance on it?

If the Piston looks good, and it has good compression still. I'd definitely buy it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't *need* it, but can certainly use it....I already have a 372XP, 575xp, and 460, kind of interested in seeing how it runs next to the 372 and 575.

Any potential damage from running with the loose muffler? Do you have to remove the muffler cover to get to the muffler?

I don't *need* it, but can certainly use it....I already have a 372XP, 575xp, and 460, kind of interested in seeing how it runs next to the 372 and 575.

Any potential damage from running with the loose muffler? Do you have to remove the muffler cover to get to the muffler?

Potential for striped screws... you'll need to cross that road when you get there.
Pop the plugs out and behind you'll find 2 M5x16 screws. M5 nuts on the bottom corners.

muffler.jpg

Honestly, I don't remember seeing two center plugs....all I remember seeing for the 4 torx bolts holding the cover on the muffler.

Never ever ever run a saw with a loose muffler.
It will kill it in short order.
It also will mess the flange up.

It will lean it out and the heat blowing down the cylinder is a killer.

To bolts and 2 nuts.

Honestly, I don't remember seeing two center plugs....all I remember seeing for the 4 torx bolts holding the cover on the muffler.
This sounds like the cover on my MS440, 4 torx head M5 bolts. My understanding is that the real hazard is cold air contacting the piston, warping it out of round. Since the saw has compression and runs well, I'd guess there has been no damage. Buy it!

P1010460.JPG

I don't think it's an MS440, though, as this one has a 1pc top cover (no quick access to the air filter).

Ok, now that I think about it, I'm not sure exactly what it is....the plate is missing on the recoil starter plate. I was told it's a 441, but have no idea if that's correct. I do know the top cover is all 1pc, held down by 3 torx head screws with a round air filter. The displacement was around 66-68cc, can't remember the exact number. It was more than 60, but not in the 70s....any guesses?

Ok, now that I think about it, I'm not sure exactly what it is....the plate is missing on the recoil starter plate. I was told it's a 441, but have no idea if that's correct. I do know the top cover is all 1pc, held down by 3 torx head screws with a round air filter. The displacement was around 66-68cc, can't remember the exact number. It was more than 60, but not in the 70s....any guesses?
One peice cover isn't a 441
Most likely a 362

The more I look at pics, the more I am convinced it's a 391....

I don't think anybody would try to sell a 391 as a 441 intentionally,op doesn't know the difference so I'd say the owner don't either.

391 have 4 bolts holing a cover on the muffler?

It's at a local pawn shop, I'll try and get a few pics later today...

Latest posts

Back