Stihl 460 HO Oiler Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agr516

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been back through all of the old threads about converting a standard 460 oil pump to HO and cannot find what I know to be a clear answer to my question which is: Does this conversion require a different control bolt than the stock one? I have bought a new HO pump piston but am not certain if I need to order a new (different) control bolt or just use the stock one? I read a post between BSNELLING and LAKESIDE53 that seemed to indicate that the 460 HO conversion needs only the new piston and utilizes the stock control bolt. Is that correct? Can anyone help?
Thanks,

According to my research the 046, MS 440, 441, 460, 461 use the same oiler which is part number 1128 640 3206 and for the high output pump part number 1128 640 3250 .
Everything else was the same part numbers except for the piston so I just replaced the 0.8 piston part number 1128 640 3206 to a 1.1 piston which is part number 1128 647 0602 on my 441.

Edit to add: I did call Bryan equipment before ordering the piston and asked if the piston was the only thing different and they said yes, that is why I just changed out the piston however I might have made a mistake myself since I just pulled it up and the control bolt is a different part number, dang it!!

Did changing just the piston do the trick for you?
I have not ran the saw since changing it out, so I cannot answer that. The change went smooth and did not feel any issues when assembling it back together, however after answering you and pulling up the IPL I might have made a mistake and might have to change it back.

I hope someone else that has just changed the piston and cut with it chimes in with the knowledge and correct answer.

Thanks. I just ordered the control bolt to go with the new piston. Yes, is right at $50 to order the parts and rebuild the pump yourself.

They can be modded for more flow for a little bit of time.

The control bolt differences are clear and do look easy but the control bolt for the HO oiler is cheap. The pump piston is where the money savings would be. An eyeball comparison did not identify what the differences are between the regular and HO piston.

Latest posts

Back