Stihl 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hi saw people went today to look at saws.Really liked the 441.But dealer said 460 has more power.Has anyone used the 460?If so how does it cut Thank you

It is a very respectable performer. What are you aiming to cut? That'll pretty much decide whether it is the right tool for the job. 460 is a very good 20-28" saw in hardwood, and can run more bar if circumstances require.

And you will want to do some searching through old posts - LOTS of discussion about the 460 and 441, as well as the other saws in their respective price/weight/power classes.

Computer user really summed it up well.

I feel that the 7900 is more of a saw than the 460. But if you haven't ran a 7900 or have a local dealer, then the 460 is a great saw. The 046/460 is the most popular big firewood saw around here. I have one of each right now, even though I prefer the D brand, the 460 is really a great saw. I haven't ran the 441 against it, but remember, sometimese there is no replacement for displacement.

A modded 7900 is even better, lol.

Last edited:

I ran about 6 tanks of gas through my new "lighlty used" 460 with the stock Dual Port muffler cover and I was all smiles the entire time... If the MS361 is to small for what you are doing then definitely skip the 441 and get a 460, and have your dealer order the DualPort muffler cover as well. You WILL be pleased.

Asking if anyone has run a 460 is like asking if anyone has driven a Chevy Suburban. ;)

They're a fine saw and very popular out here as a falling saw. I love mine and run it consistently with a 32". It fits nicely between the 440 and 660. The 7900 is supposed to be a fine saw, but dealer support and parts can be lacking.

Myself, I'd take a 460 over a 441. Both waiting for the 461, and just because of the tried and true design of the 440/460.

Get the dual port muffler cover (1128-140-0801). It should be standard equipment. It'll run you about $30. Worth twice that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

fishhuntcutwood said:
Asking if anyone has run a 460 is like asking if anyone has driven a Chevy Suburban. ;)

That's freakin' great, just what I was thinking. It's funny 'cause it's true...

I'll ditto pretty much everything Jeff said. It pulls a 32" bar very nicely, and that's what I always run on mine, too. Great saw, love it.

460 oooohhhhrrraaahhhhh

:) Love mine, Running a Big Bore Kit From Baileys, w/dual ported muffler Pulling a 32" bar in Red Oak is No sweat,,,,,,,,, Planning on pulling it down and doing a Woods port when Im done cuttin this year,,,,,,,,

I went to my Stihl dealer today to order a 441 or a 460 Arctic. After hashing it over with him, I decided to go for the 441, mainly because of the anti-vibe system. I've got some wrist/shoulder issues and I'm sure it's got all the power I need. But for another $50, the 460 looked pretty tempting.

Freakingstang said:
Computer user really summed it up well.

I feel that the 7900 is more of a saw than the 460. But if you haven't ran a 7900 or have a local dealer, then the 460 is a great saw. The 046/460 is the most popular big firewood saw around here. I have one of each right now, even though I prefer the D brand, the 460 is really a great saw. I haven't ran the 441 against it, but remember, sometimese there is no replacement for displacement.

A modded 7900 is even better, lol.

Stan,
I used to get peeved at guys like 'Stang who would interject the 7900 into every 440/441/460 thread. Now that I've tried the Dolmar (after running a 460 for a few days), well, now I get it. It's that good. You owe it to yourself to give it a spin. On paper, they look like near equals, but they're not.

My dealer is not close and he probably doesn't have the parts availability of my local Stihl dealer. For some here, their saw is their livelihood. But hey, I'm a firewood guy. If I don't have the part today, I'll cut next week instead. No big deal.

fishhuntcutwood said:

They're a fine saw and very popular out here as a falling saw. I love mine and run it consistently with a 32". It fits nicely between the 440 and 660. The 7900 is supposed to be a fine saw, but dealer support and parts can be lacking.

Myself, I'd take a 460 over a 441. Both waiting for the 461, and just because of the tried and true design of the 440/460.

Get the dual port muffler cover (1128-140-0801). It should be standard equipment. It'll run you about $30. Worth twice that.

attachment.php

attachment.php
Note to self.
Don't get in fight with fish, he is one big dude.:cheers:

phewwww

Just Mow said:
Note to self.

Yur Damn rights dude. What in heck did his parents feed him I wonder? Raw meat or something? Good lord. :jawdrop: I want no part of anyone messin with fish...

fishhuntcutwood said:
HAHA!

Aw c'mon guys. I'm only 6'/240 lbs. (Mostly solid....ha!)

and thats enough!!!!!!!!:rock: :rock: :rock:

as for the question, one can never go wrong w/ a 460. just be sure to include the dual port muff or modd the original.

Just Mow said:
Note to self.

And...........................

He looks AWSOME in black:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

sawinredneck said:
And...........................

He looks AWSOME in black:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

That's it? You respond to a 460 thread and that is all you have to say... nothing about how the 046 runs? :bang:

Freakingstang said:
That's it? You respond to a 460 thread and that is all you have to say... nothing about how the 046 runs? :bang:

Well, this thread has turned into all Jeff, and for me to asses the 460, wel, thats just not fair to the others:clap:

fishhuntcutwood said:

The Troll also ruled out the 441, so I bought him the 372xpg that he has wanted for years....:heart: :heart:

Btw, you look like a really nice guy.......:heart: :yoyo: :yoyo:

:laugh: :laugh: :ices_rofl:

SawWitch said:
The Troll also ruled out the 441, so I bought him the 372xpg that he has wanted for years....:heart: :heart:

Btw, you look like a really nice guy.......:heart: :yoyo: :yoyo:

:laugh: :ices_rofl:

I can vouch for that. Help Jeff out.. His heart is still broken (use search) :)

Do you have any "unattached" girlfriends in the Norwegian Coastguard... ??? She'll need to put up with saws in the living room (they're clean).. and a nice dog... but...

Latest posts

Back