Stihl 500i injector

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troda

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a ts 500i Was working fine. Put away for 3 days. Two pulls and it hydro locked. Pulled plug which was fuel soaked . Next day was able to start but noted raw fuel from the exhaust. Dealer say plug was bad. Replaced. Runs occasionally but hydrolocked again today. My money is on a leaky injector. Any thoughts?
Tom

Yes, bad injector.

The test for injector:
Remove top cover.
Pull far left hose on the fuel pump carefully. Avoid dust or dirt comtamination inside the system when pulling the hose off. Loosen the fuel filler cap to avoid tank pressure build up.
Then apply test pressure gently on the injector inlet hose to 3 or 4psi until it bypasses. It should not drop to less than 2.5 psi on the guage.
A unit that is less than 2 yrs from purchase date will be coverered under warranty under epa guidelines by a Stihl dealer. It must be recalibrated after replacement to run correctly too. A magnetic fuel filter and air filter are part of the repair too.
20170311_121109_002.jpg
The little blue disc in the center has damage. This injector was leaking into the crankcase when the primer pump was pressed.

I don't have anything to check fuel pressure that low. My sets are for auto incl diesel. Can I ge the injector out while leaving it hooked up? 2nd question. You s wrote the saw needed to be recalibrate. I believe motronic is adaptive. Could I just keep it idling then run through the rpm ranges till it learns?
Thanks in advance
Tom

If you are pumping the primer and it's going straight into the crankcase from the injector, then it can be assumed that the injector has failed.
In reference to your question on removing the injector while still hooked up.....Yes, it can be done, although it's not real easy.
What would that benefit of that anyway?
The new injectors come with new moulded nitrile fuel hoses in the kit.
This is because of newer epa regulations, which state that: any hose broken lose or removed must be replaced with new hose. In addition; any constantly wetted fuel in a hose needs to be of a non permeable designed nitrile fuel hose.
This unfortunately equates to increased cost.
The TS500i differs from a M-tronic in that it has a computer that stores failure codes and "remembers" it's last settings.
It is also quite a bit more complex, in that it is a fully injected system.
If you change a defective part, I've found that although they may run without recalibration, it seems to much longer for the saw to behave as normal, and may not idle well (if at all) until used a while.
I'm not sure why, but IMO; huge adjustments to mixture seem to take time for this system to cope with and adjust to, and thus the need for recalibration.

The recalibration is necessary when a component is replaced that was causing problems; like a really plugged air or fuel filer, injector, bad seal, etc.
That way it will start and idle great, right out of the gate.
The fine tuning happens automatcally during operation.

It is fairly difficult to diagnose a bad injector sometimes.
I've never seen one just stop working, or be detected as "bad" by my Stihl (MDG1) tester.
A bad injector will usually cause the saw to run really rich.
Typically, you can start the saw by holding the throttle wide open. It usually smokes and eventually revs up and smoothes out somewhat at WOT. Then it may idle for a minute until it loads up rich, slowly causing rpms to fall off, and eventually dies.
This is because the the injector is leaking more fuel than necessary into the crankcase than the signal from the computer is telling it to, and is unable to compensate as designed.

Once running it runs okay, not super rich. It won't idle for more than 20seconds or so. Will restart relatively easy with some throttle. 99% sure the pintle is hanging up. Figured if I could leave injector plumbed in pressurize system. Let it sit then pull the line. I should be able to detect some pressure if the injector was holding.
What's the cost of a new injector? Stihl only I'm assuming?
Thanks
Tom

Back