Stihl 661 Magnum ... non- MTronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Was on the big stihl usa site yesterday and seen that there is a new addition to the 661 stable, and it's NON-Mtronic! Before I thought it was a typo I called stihl cust svc to verify this is correct and lo/behold it is and will be regular stocked item. I praised their thinking direction on this, (finally)... Price is the same as the regular 661 MTronic versions, so at least no price gouging on that angle. At least now don't have to settle for used/abused 660 models or clones.. Yeah!
Funny thing is I was considering at 660, so I believe the AV would be better (with more springs) in the 661?...thanks for comparisons.... 20 -25" ES bar what I'd be using.
Thoughts?
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms661magnum/

Yes, aware of that, I just wanted to point out that's what I'd be using on the 660/661... Probably using the 25" most of time, but not milling with it.

Great point, this is the 651, but for confusion puposes, they kept the same title (661) ....

I saw a 661 non M Tronic at my Stihl dealer the other day when I got my 462R. I have a mint 660 so not really in the market. And by the way, I do need my 660 with the 36” bar from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a 661 non M Tronic at my Stihl dealer the other day when I got my 462R. I have a mint 660 so not really in the market. And by the way, I do need my 660 with the 36” bar from time to time

What dealer? I buy from a JD/Stihl dealer north of Bloomington. They may have the same distributor. I don't see it on my dealer's website.

It was McAfoos in Benton, IL. Their distributor is Crader in Missouri. It was still there last week.

Av is worlds better on the 661 vs. 660, as is torque.
Stock 661 pulls a 36" full comp through the hardest woods in north eastern US with aplomb, while it is as much as a stock 660 wants in green oak to do the same bar & chain.
661 throttle response is much faster as well, or at least mine is. Better for limbing than the 660 IMO, although it gets heavy after a long day vs. a smaller saw for limbs.

I"m seeing 661 and 661R non-mtronic on website as well, but haven't seen in person, looks like prices $40 bucks less than m-tronic version

Latest posts

Back