Stihl ms461 is the last non mtronic pro saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.B. Cooper

Legendary
Reaction score
She’s blown and what is stihl thinking?? I just recently noticed substantial scratches on the piston of my 440 magnum and decided to look into a new saw now and rebuild it later. I’m not a fan of the new mtronic and Talking with the local shop the only saw that is non moronic is the ms461 and was no longer being made as of December 2018. So I go home and figured I’d call stihl to verify and sure as $&it December they quit making them and when they are gone they are gone there will be the new 462 and every saw will be mtronic except the 880 indefinitely. Makes no cents and loses them dollars imo.

She’s blown and what is stihl thinking?? I just recently noticed substantial scratches on the piston of my 440 magnum and decided to look into a new saw now and rebuild it later. I’m not a fan of the new mtronic and Talking with the local shop the only saw that is non moronic is the ms461 and was no longer being made as of December 2018. So I go home and figured I’d call stihl to verify and sure as $&it December they quit making them and when they are gone they are gone there will be the new 462 and every saw will be mtronic except the 880 indefinitely. Makes no cents and loses them dollars imo.
I know where some 660's in boxes new are at my dealer if you need one.

So the 461 is definitely not being made anymore? If that's the case I'd definitely run out and get one before they are gone. It would be a worthy upgrade from your 440.

If I’m in the woods I’d like to be able to work on it and with mtronic if something goes wrong I’d have to take it to the dealer!!? And I haven’t seen a 462 yet they are to be released in June 2019. I have a beautiful 660 !!! And yeah the 461 will be a different beast from my 440 but I can’t wait! Grabbing it tomorrow!

@Oldhardwood it would be a very worthy upgrade! The only bad is the wife’s already sour...I recently bought a new 201t and a week after I found a deal on Craigslist for a brand new 192t and lightly used 192t.... needles to say I drove 5 hours in the snow for two tophandles!! Tomorrow is another day I guess! #buckinandbrappin

You're going to love it. The 461 has proven itself to be strong and reliable. Plus, it's going to hold its value extremely well being as it's kindof the last of a dying breed "non computerized".

If I’m in the woods I’d like to be able to work on it and with mtronic if something goes wrong I’d have to take it to the dealer!!? And I haven’t seen a 462 yet they are to be released in June 2019. I have a beautiful 660 !!! And yeah the 461 will be a different beast from my 440 but I can’t wait! Grabbing it tomorrow!

462s are available now in the US.

To new. In a couple of years mtronic will be bullet proof. Like vacuum tubes in TVs and points in distributors for Autos, the standard carb's days for chainsaws are numbered.

I don’t even buy too new anymore. The 441 came out with M-Tronic almost 10 years ago, and it’s been largely bulletproof for the majority of the time it has been available when it’s not being used in nasty air. The early M-Tronic carbs, or maybe just 441s because they were what I was running, had some issues if they were used in a smokey environment, but the last saw I bought (441 M-Tronic) seems to do a lot better cutting on fires.

M-Tronic has proven itself as a viable engine management system and it is pretty well bulletproof. I don’t like the 462 for a variety of reasons, but M-Tronic is not on that list.

I prefer the 461 to the 462 right now predominately because of how soft the 462 I’ve held has felt with longer bars and how bad the balance was with a 28, let alone a 32. I also hate, and I mean it to the full extent of hate, the top cover on the 462. I do not want to have to use a tool to get to the air filter, nor do I want to take off the whole top cover and open up the cylinder and plug to the atmosphere just to knock out the filter. That’s a huge step back from the series of saws that originated from the 064, be them the 044, 046, 440, 460, 461, etc.

nor do I want to take off the whole top cover and open up the p/c and plug just to knock out the filter. That’s a huge step back from the series of saws that originated from the 064, be them the 044, 046, 440, 460, 461, etc.
What do you mean by opening the p/c and plug? Having everything exposed by taking off one cover vs having two separate covers like the older saws mentioned?

What do you mean by opening the p/c and plug? Having everything exposed by taking off one cover vs having two separate covers like the older saws mentioned?

That is correct, I have no interest in exposing everything by having to remove the entire top cover. There’s really no need for it, it doesn’t make the saw easier to work on, nor does it really make it any lighter. I understand how Stihl wants air to flow but there are better ways to do it than a one piece top cover.

So the 461 is definitely not being made anymore? If that's the case I'd definitely run out and get one before they are gone. It would be a worthy upgrade from your 440.

No, once the 462 was released, it is the new thing sequentially. Seems obvious the 461 was going away. Just like the 260 vanished when the 261 released, same with the 361 and 362.

I love my M-tronic saws and want more. They are fuel efficient, responsive, and easier to start. I cant figure out why people are so scared of progress.

That is correct, I have no interest in exposing everything by having to remove the entire top cover. There’s really no need for it, it doesn’t make the saw easier to work on, nor does it really make it any lighter. I understand how Stihl wants air to flow but there are better ways to do it than a one piece top cover.
I didn't like that style cover on my 241 when I first got it. I ran a couple of tanks through it and thought time to clean the filter. I was really surprised how clean it was along with the rest of the insides of the saw. Now I dislike having to pull 2 covers of the older saws to blow them off.

Back