Stihl a good idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's about $105 CND. If it's comparable size to the new MS291 then that saw retails for $670 CND.
Sounds like a good deal if it runs and not too much to make it road worthy.
I bought a Stihl 044 in very good shape for $350 CND (list price for new Stihl MS441 is $1450.00 CND)
Lets see some pics of it.

My 044.
Came with a brand new 18" bar and chain which I took off and replaced with a 28" bar and two chains.
I also got a case for it. $30 from my dealer.
First pic is with the 18" bar.
Second is new 28" bar and chains.
Third is both saws in their cases. Can you tell which has the 28" bar?....lol.

Stihl 044 (2).jpg 28 bar.jpg IMG_20160928_115101980.jpg

The 029s and ms290 are similar. Doing any work on it sucks. I have a 290/390 and a rebuild will take hours. I did the crapsman rebuild in less than an hour it's not me ask around lol they are built stupid but a good saw in my opinion.

The 029s and ms290 are similar. Doing any work on it sucks. I have a 290/390 and a rebuild will take hours. I did the crapsman rebuild in less than an hour it's not me ask around lol they are built stupid but a good saw in my opinion.
Are they better with 039 jug n slug?

Iv worked on a few engines in me time so not a worry. Are the cheap £40 jug n slug kits Ok? Also I hear they can be a pig to start . Any tips please

I have installed a Farmertec 390 jug and it was good quality out of the box. Much better than some of the Chinesium crap. If they are right they are easy to start. A muff mod is mandatory. I have no experience with longevity of the Farmertec kit but it was less than $30. An OEM 390 jug and piston would be the way to go if you need a guarantee of uniform quality.

Nothing difficult just not the six bolts and a clamp we have gotten to use to on the pro saws. If you are able to disassemble and reassemble simple machines you won't have any trouble.

Huztl is Farmertec. Google the names to find the site and look at their parts. Parts come direct from China and take a couple weeks to arrive. They are a reputable company

I rebuilt my craftsman poulan very quickly didn't even have to take the fly wheel off. The 290 was stupid I don't know y it's so complicated to take apart. Everything must come off. I've got the 390 kit with a muffler mod and you can cut anything with the 20 inch bar. My next step is a 24 inch bar. I was not impressed with the hyway kit I had some issues. I sent them an email got nothing back I don't think I'd buy another.

Hi guys I've just bought a 029 super for £60 Is this good value and is there any bad points it is running

Motorsägen 029 at 6 oclock rrroger that red leader, tally ho follow me down now..

nice price if its a running donk & a good enuff saw if keep ya bar size under 20 inch run 3/8 chain keep the filter clean and always finger in the throttle when pushing down the master switch to choke or you'll bugger the switch cam mechanism & can pop out of its cradle

regards from the colony to queen Lizz when next you see her

Back