Stihl accessories not available in Canada

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Several accessories/tools available from Stihl in the USA are not available from Stihl Canada (not even listed in Canadian dealers catalogs), knowing Stihl's corporate directive on saw sales over the net, are there U.S dealers who do offer tools and accessory sales via web, fax, or e-mail, you would think that this would be acceptable.

Please PM me with the info.

Thanks to all.

Hey you guys get all sorts of stuff we can't. PM and I'll see if I can get what you're looking for. I won't be back to the shop until next week though.

I was visiting with one of my ex students in Brandon, Manitoba last Friday and he was talking about a new starter he had seen on a Stihl at his dealership. Seems when you pull it a spring is wound. When you hit the end of the rope, it releases the spring, spinning the engine. Good for older folks who have lost the quick pull it takes to start most saws. Have any of you seen or tried one of these.

underwor said:
I was visiting with one of my ex students in Brandon, Manitoba last Friday and he was talking about a new starter he had seen on a Stihl at his dealership. Seems when you pull it a spring is wound. When you hit the end of the rope, it releases the spring, spinning the engine. Good for older folks who have lost the quick pull it takes to start most saws. Have any of you seen or tried one of these.

Are you refferring to the Easy-Start system as per this link:

http://www.stihl.ca/easy2start.asp

I saw two MS210s on the shelf a while back.  One of them had a funky-looking starter cover, so I picked it up and pulled slowly, and it seemed as though nothing was happening.  So I picked up the "standard" one and pulled slowly.  I could feel the "normal" compressions and was puzzled.  So I picked the first one back up and pulled slowly again.  No compressions that I could easily pick up on...  Another slow pull of nothingness, then all of a sudden, several rapid compressions, the same as if I'd rapidly pulled the "standard" starter.

It immediately brought to mind the starter on the Toro mower my dad had when I was a kid in the '60s.  You'd flip out the handle, wind it up tight, fold the handle back over and press down on the knob, which caused the engine to spin all the same as if you'd winded the rope up and gave it a tug (which is what we ended up doing the last several years of the mower after the wind-up starter broke).

This mechanism Stihl is using obviously wouldn't hold up to the rigors of professional use on a pro-"quality" saw, but it's another of their ingenious ideas which is absolutely perfect for the intended audience.

Glen

Lobo said:
Are you refferring to the Easy-Start system ......

It adds .3 kg to the weight of the saw, and should only be needed by people with weak or partly disabled limbs.
As Glen said, it fills a role - but it does not benefit the average user, even for the saw models in question (210 and 250).

Last edited:
I stopped by the Stihl dealer today to pick up a few things (he is not only Stihl but has many good lines of equipment such as Toro, Lawn-Boy, Tanaka Honda engines, Briggs etc.) The owner took the time to have me try the new Easy-Start system on a couple of weed wackers and on the chainsaws it is already on, that system is impressive and incredibly easy to start an engine with.

I am sure my wife would love an Easy-Start weed wacker!

This is probably the next best gift I could give her (me) after the dishwasher!

Sedanman thanks so much for the offer it is greatly appreciated, I tried to PM you, but it seems I can not send or receive any PM's until I change a few things in the profile .

I will attempt to get that resolved and then PM you.

Geezzz ! I must of purchased a computer of the female gender, it acts up like the wife an awful lot ! :eek: :eek:

Latest posts

Back