Stihl AV mount options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonwheeler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I noticed in my 066 shop manual that 3 different hardness AV buffers are available. Harder for more accurate control, softer for more vibration dampening.

Does this apply to all models w/ rubber AV? Which hardness is the default? How much difference between types?

I know some complain about the AV on Stihls and wondered how much difference the various buffers make.

Chaser

As I understand it, the hardness is for varying length bars. hardest are suited to all bars, while softer mounts are good for shorter ones. there doesnt seem to be a general consensus on how long those bars should be though.

wagonwheeler said:
I noticed in my 066 shop manual that 3 different hardness AV buffers are available. Harder for more accurate control, softer for more vibration dampening.

Does this apply to all models w/ rubber AV? Which hardness is the default? How much difference between types?

I know some complain about the AV on Stihls and wondered how much difference the various buffers make.

Chaser
I used to wear them out on my 017 all the time!wonder if they got stiffer bushings for my little guy?

Not just longer/shorter bars, but for winter/summer use... I never get a request to change them. The factory supplied versions seem to work fine and are the "mid-hardness" - that labeled neither "hard" or "soft".

Only a few pro model saws have buffer options, but you can play games and make the 028 top left buffer work on an 026 (much stiffer).

Back