Stihl bar oil fail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinchscavalry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My son has a little used 290 that refuses to oil the bar/chain. Oil seems to be coming out of the orifices just fine, and a puddle of oil can be found under it when it sits, but the bar will not pick up oil. After a few minutes of running the bar is too hot to handle.

What gives? Any help would be appreciated.

If it is a bar with the correct pattern for that model then remove the bar and clean out the entire length of the grooves and clear up the oil access holes.
Also check to make sure you have the correct match up on your chain and sprocket pitch. A bad bar tip bearing can heat things up too.

Pull the outer cover, bar and the chain and fire up the saw with the chain in the off position so the drum spins, now watch for oil coming out of a hole above the bar studs, if it oils there then you have a bar that needs cleaning, if no oil comes out there is something wrong in oiler, maybe just the line popped off.

There was a problem with some (earlier, I think) 290's in that the bar oiling hole didn't align properly with the oiler but sat a little lower and was mostly blocked. There was a thread about it a few years back.

You need to take off the sprocket cover, bolt on the bar and see if the two holes align properly. If they don't, you need to do a little modification. I ended up making the bar oiling hole of a slightly oval size. It was a fifteen minute jobs doing it on both sides. If you swap bars around a lot, it may be worth modifying the oiler exit instead.

Look and see if oil is coming out of front of case. A little hole low down by felling dawg. If so, parts guru at Reynolds Farm Equipment in Fishers Indiana got same problem answered for me on brother in laws 310 exact problem. He called it a "grub screw". I bought two. Iook for part number. Let me know if that looks like problem. Easy fix. Maj

LoveStihlQuality

Back