Stihl BG 86

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mostly agree, but my FS110 has been rock solid, and adjusting the valves is super easy. If I were in the market for a new trimmer it would be another 110, even though after working on a BR600 I told Nik I may never buy a another Stihl product lol.

I have a KM110 powerhead as well. I use it with the edger, cultivator, and pole saw attachments. If I had it to do over, I'd rather have dedicated 2-stroke pieces. It is more money though. I'm just not a 4-mix fan. Does a clamshell design make a piece of equipment bad? No. But as long as other options are available, those are the ones I will gravitate towards.

I've got 2 of them that are run in a commercial lawn business and they get beaten up day in and day out. No issues at all minus one muffler bolt coming loose. I'd buy more to replace them in a heartbeat if needed.

If only I could make my 4 mix trimmers run as well as the simple old transfer style 2 stroke stuff I have...

I've had an 85 for 5 years and it works great. At the time I bought it, it was the strongest HH out. The 86 is an updated version with better specs. The only thing I have needed to do was to trim the limiter and fatten it up some. It was a hard starter and hard to get warmed up.

I have an SH85 and had to fatten it up as well. Great blower for a handheld and short term use. I once mentioned the vibrations were acceptable on this unit, untill I used it for more than an hour or so....I know now why they upgraded to the 86. The 86 has a better tube attachment system as well. Best usage for me is to clean the garage... no more brushing for me :msp_biggrin:

I went and got it yesterday. I took it straight from the box to the bench and removed the screen. I filled it with avgas and Ultra and it ran great. I ran it for about 15 minutes a tinkered with the jetting. I then started taking stuff off just looking.

In the air cleaner, I removed a couple of parts that looked restrictive and put it back together. This made a big difference and I played with the jetting again.

I am very happy with this and I know over the next few tanks, it will start running even better. The only thing I have to get used to is when holding it with your left hand, it will suck your pants into the air intake and block it off. I can now create tornadoes at will. This thing really blows!

Thanks for all of your help and comments.

Last edited:
I went and got it yesterday. I took it straight from the box to the bench and removed the screen. I filled it with avgas and Ultra and it ran great. I ran it for about 15 minutes a tinkered with the jetting. I then started taking stuff off just looking.

In the air cleaner, I removed a couple of parts that looked restrictive and put it back together. This made a big difference and I played with the jetting again.

I am very happy with this and I know over the next few tanks, it will start running even better. The only thing I have to get used to is when holding it with your left hand, it will suck your pants into the air intake and block it off. I can now create tornadoes at will. This thing really blows!

Thanks for all of your help and comments.

glad I'm not the only one!

Latest posts

Back