stihl BG85 blower carb replacement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey all, i have a stihl BG85 blower with a non adjustable Zama carb on it (jetted style) anybody know of a suitable non EPA carb i can slap on this blower and be able to tune the darn thing? current carb is a Zama C1Q-S50.
the biggest issue is the throttle arm must have the little cable connection instead of the standard plain hole for the linkage. would love to be able to use non 50:1 mix in this thing. due to the carb its been non running since 2 months after i bought it! sitting 2 years now..

Dedcow, I don't much about blowers, especially Stihl. If you know of a model, preferably current, similar to yours that has a FAC, I can check my Stihl disk for the carb part #. Try the StihlUSA website. Or maybe if you find the Zama website you can poke around & find a similar FAC. Hope that this helps in some way.

You can use a WT 264-1 on the FS style weedeaters to directly replace the Zama carb. It's fully adjustable and available from any Walbro distributor. Not sure if it will directly link up to the BG series but it does have the cable connection.

The BG series went to adjustable carbs after late 2001 (I think) but replaced the cable with a throttle rod. You can convert but there a bunch of stuff to change. If you're ambitious, get the "rod style" carb and swap the throttle shafts etc over (it's real pain...).

You can easily fix the S50- the most likely but obscure problem (other than the usual diaphragms, needle etc) is the outlet valve. It gets stuck either open or partially shut and completely messes up the performance. Blowing air hard though it will damage it. The fixed jet is .36mm and unscrews - the outlet valve is directly below that and just punches out. About $5 from a stihl dealer. If you want to play with the mixture, try a different valve size, like .34 or .32... or bigger if you think it needs more gas. Even though you can't adjust the high end of the carb, the BG 85 runs really well when the carb is good.

well now im excited.. got a diffrent factory carb (slightly earlier model) rebuilt it.. now the evil POS blower has been restored to a sweet running BG85 that is worthy of much use! still a jetted carb.. but she runs great and i can live with that!

You can use a WT 264-1 on the FS style weedeaters to directly replace the Zama carb. It's fully adjustable and available from any Walbro distributor. Not sure if it will directly link up to the BG series but it does have the cable connection.

The BG series went to adjustable carbs after late 2001 (I think) but replaced the cable with a throttle rod. You can convert but there a bunch of stuff to change. If you're ambitious, get the "rod style" carb and swap the throttle shafts etc over (it's real pain...).

You can easily fix the S50- the most likely but obscure problem (other than the usual diaphragms, needle etc) is the outlet valve. It gets stuck either open or partially shut and completely messes up the performance. Blowing air hard though it will damage it. The fixed jet is .36mm and unscrews - the outlet valve is directly below that and just punches out. About $5 from a stihl dealer. If you want to play with the mixture, try a different valve size, like .34 or .32... or bigger if you think it needs more gas. Even though you can't adjust the high end of the carb, the BG 85 runs really well when the carb is good.
I have a Stihl BG85 with the non adjustable C1Q-S50. It would run good, but had a problem idling. would eventually always idle down to a stall. Off idle performance was good. I tried adjusting the air screw, but made absolutely no difference. I assumed it was internal to the carb. I disassembled it and examined it. Didn't notice anything that stuck out. So I cleaned it out, and blew out passages ( which I know on some carbs is a nono. I removed the main jet and blew air into the main body of the carb. After I reassembled it, it ran terrible. Hard starting, stalling, no throttle response. I ordered a rebuild kit (Zama original), thinking it was one of the diaphragm's. Just finished reassemby. Still no good. Sounds like what you describe. Just trying to clarify the parts. The main jet ( I assume to be called "remote jet"). But the outlet valve, not sure what Zamas' terminology for that is. And I can't find an exploded view of that carb. thanks. And can't find one of these carbs anywhere.

Latest posts

Back