Stihl BR600, need an expert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My mechanic has disassembled our Stihl BR600 blower because of a leaky seal. Now...since this is a 4 cycle machine with valves, he apparently cannot figure out how to time the valve train.

He swears there are no timing dots to match up the plastic & metal gears, and cannot put it back together now.

Help please!

as in harleys second pic line up the crankshaft as shown, you may have to turn it another 360 degrees to be sure the valves do not move.. then use the stihl feeler gauge to set up the intake and exhaust. .10 on intake .20 on exhaust.

I'd follow those directions that Harley T posted. Pretty straight forward. I sent you a PM as well just in case since I'm in the Kansas City area as well. I work on those things quite a bit. Actually, I have one disassembled in my garage right now.

Ten on both, that is the only feeler gauge Stihl sells that I have ever seen. (And yes you have to use a Stihl feeler gauge, pretty much the only one that will fit). Did the mechanic happen to replace the cam? As cheap as they are I ALWAYS replace them.

Joe

We have been doing .10 for the intake and .20 for the exhaust. We deal with landscapers and this is a setting that Stihl recommends.

We have been doing .10 for the intake and .20 for the exhaust. We deal with landscapers and this is a setting that Stihl recommends.

I will have to look in the Gold book again but I don't recall ever seeing a .20 setting referenced. Out of curiosity where did you get a gauge from that will fit under the rocker and in between the locating tabs?

Joe

I will have to look in the Gold book again but I don't recall ever seeing a .20 setting referenced. Out of curiosity where did you get a gauge from that will fit under the rocker and in between the locating tabs?

Joe

There is a kit that the feeler guage comes in. 4180 893 6400 is the feeler part number. I just use the feelers that come with the kit for the trimmers. It also includes a gasket. In the spring summer season I do dozens of valve adjustments.

There is a kit that the feeler guage comes in. 4180 893 6400 is the feeler part number. I just use the feelers that come with the kit for the trimmers. It also includes a gasket. In the spring summer season I do dozens of valve adjustments.
What, do you use 2 of the feeler gauges?

Ten on both, that is the only feeler gauge Stihl sells that I have ever seen. (And yes you have to use a Stihl feeler gauge, pretty much the only one that will fit). Did the mechanic happen to replace the cam? As cheap as they are I ALWAYS replace them.

Joe

Our dealer keeps nothing in stock, so no, the original camshaft is in it. We have even been obliged to wait for bar nuts from this dealer.

The page out of the manual I posted is from the 2012 Mediacat. I just checked the manual on the current PartSmart
on Stihl's website, they are identical. .10 for both intake and exhaust.
I also looked at all of the tech bulletins.

Thanks guys! As always, the AS mechanical gurus have come through for us. We have checked our handiwork, and we guessed right on the gear alignment.

My mechanic says he has been doing fine keeping the exhaust valves at .004" (.1 mm) for a long time, so we will go back with the original specs. We don't use the Stihl feeler gauge, we just make our own. We have had the valves close up on us a couple of times, but it is fairly easy to restore. I don't see an advantage to opening the gap too much.

Latest posts

Back