Stihl calendars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's stuck up. What can they do? They could send out mass mailings of calendars to all their dealers like they do catalogs, or they could send one directly to you for free.....they could.....and they could afford to. But I think they've been bitten by the ebay bug in which all of their IPLs that they gave for free ended up there on disc for grossly inflated prices to unsuspecting buyers.

And I don't think Stihl is any different than any other major company. Call Snap-On or Miller Lite or any other company that has a girlie calendar and see what they tell you. They'd probably say to go find a dealer, or kindly direct you to a web site where you can get one.

Sorry man, I just think it's the price of business. ;) :angel:

You hit the nail on the head Fish, thats exactly what happened. Many years ago I was told by our rep that Stihl did provide free hats and calendars to dealers. The purpose was for the dealers to GIVE them to their customers. Old Mr Greed stepped in and the dealers started selling them making a nice 100% profit. Stihl couldn't provide enough hats and calendars. They caught on to what was going on and stopped it. Now the dealers have to buy them. It sure slowed down the tremedous need for calendars and hats all the sudden, wonder why,LOL. Take a 1000 free hats and sell them for a buck apiece and thats a nice chunk of cash in ya pocket. No company is gonna put up with that and Stihl didn't, can't blame them.

Customers that want a free hat or calendar can get one very easily, all they have to do is come in and buy something, its that simple. I don't go to the Ford dealer or Chevy dealer and just walk in and say got any free hats.

Free is a two way street. My favorite is when a guy walks in and merely says give me a free hat. He isn't buying anything, he just wants a free hat. I say cool, no problem, give me a dollar so I can get a drink out of the Coke machine. They go whatttttttttttttttttt, I said you heard me, give me a dollar. They soon realize don't ask for what your not willing to give yourself. Works like a charm. My local co-op sent me a free calendar because I buy heating oil from them. My neighbor didn't get one because he buys his oil somewhere else, makes sense to me...

Not to mention they could lower the price of there saws.

They could buy why,LOLOL. I mean hell Manual, Stihl sales was up 12% overall in 06, the rest of OPE(outdoor power equipment) was down 9% nationwide. Thats a 21% differance in Stihl's favor so only a fool would lower their prices with sales increases like that while others are sputtering. Just goes to prove those with lower prices and warranty gimmicks and cartoon Turbo logo's don't impress people at all. The proof is in the sales ole buddy. I look for Stihl to raise their prices,hehe, they already have. I just got the new price list for 07 last week. Now whatcha think of that,hehehe

My favorite is when a guy walks in and merely says give me a free hat. He isn't buying anything, he just wants a free hat. I say cool, no problem, give me a dollar so I can get a drink out of the Coke machine. They go whatttttttttttttttttt, I said you heard me, give me a dollar. They soon realize don't ask for what your not willing to give yourself. Works like a charm.

I totally agree! How do ya like them apples! Everyone wants something for free, a classic example of people abusing the system over time and eventually ruining it for the rest of us. :bang:

Customers that want a free hat or calendar can get one very easily, all they have to do is come in and buy something, its that simple. I don't go to the Ford dealer or Chevy dealer and just walk in and say got any free hats.
That was my original complaint, though - my dealer didn't have anything, and the other not-so-close dealers didn't, either. This about advertising and promotional items in general. Anything with their name on it. ...ok, except the saws. ;)

I totally understand things from Stihl's angle. It's a shame that the system was taken advantage of.

I don't particularly get much of a break in their store, and there's no way I'm going to PAY to advertise them. Again, my Email to them was to let them know that SOMEthing wasn't right... either their way of doing things, or my dealer. But they should know. If I'm not getting treated right, I can get stuff elsewhere - doesn't matter to me. I can order stuff online. But that hurts the dealer.

Dealers are different

I agree that it's the dealers responsibility to take care of the customer. As I said in a previous post, my wife got offered a calander for buying me a $29 face shield and a $10 pair of gloves. When I went in and traded in the Echo:cry: , I got the free hat. I also got the bar oil and 6 pack of mix too. When my dad was a salesmen, I remember him going through the hickory farms and swiss colony catalogs for his importent customers and he always had a supply of company hats, pens and the like that HE had to buy from the company to give away. It's the price of doing business. Some people drive 30miles to save .03 a gallon for gas. Everyone wants to get a $4.00 hat for spending $400 on a saw.

Millman

I don't particularly get much of a break in their store, and there's no way I'm going to PAY to advertise them. Again, my Email to them was to let them know that SOMEthing wasn't right... either their way of doing things, or my dealer. But they should know. If I'm not getting treated right, I can get stuff elsewhere - doesn't matter to me. I can order stuff online. But that hurts the dealer.

What's not right? Your dealer doesn't have to stock and sell calendars. How is he not treating you right?

Not being a jerk, just wondering. :angel:

That was my original complaint, though - my dealer didn't have anything, and the other not-so-close dealers didn't, either. This about advertising and promotional items in general. Anything with their name on it. ...ok, except the saws. ;)

I totally understand things from Stihl's angle. It's a shame that the system was taken advantage of.

I understand exactly what your saying there. Your not one of those that walks in with your hand out saving give me give me. I have no problem at all handing a "buying" customer or even a good ole boy a freebie calendar or hat. I do take issue with those that buy nothing, never have bought anything and expect we owe them something for we don't. Give you a example of what I'm talking about.

Had this man come in and flop down in my chair one evening. He comes in from time to time to BS but he never buy's anything. He proceeds to tell me he's going to buy a 880 soon. I was like ok. He goes on to tell me before he buys it he wants the very best price he can get because he's gonna shop around. I was like ok. Then he tells me before he buys he wants me to stock every single part for that saw. That was it. I said you gotta be out of your mind. I said first off you have yet to ever buy anything here so where do you get off thinking I should give you a discount, discounts are for our best customers, not ones that never buy anything. Second off you tell me what parts you think you will need, I'll order them for you and you buy them and you store them at your house. I said were not tieing up thousands of dollars worth of parts for one saw sale, are you crazy. Needless to say he left and good ridden. He was wasting his time and mine so its best he go waste his somewhere else.

Thats the kind of customer I'm referring to there about freebies. I wouldn't give that guy the dust off a free hat more less the hat itself. I wouldn't give him a thumb tack to hang a free calendar more less the calendar itself. Buying customers yes, good visitors yes, good folks yes but guys like that one, no way.

What's not right? Your dealer doesn't have to stock and sell calendars. How is he not treating you right?

Not being a jerk, just wondering. :angel:

Fair question. With the internet, "word of mouth" has grown by leaps and bounds. Not only do I now know what's good and bad from all over the world, but I can even purchase things from all over the world. If my Stihl dealer gives me zero incentive to stay with them, why should I?

My Poulan dealer is a great old guy. It's him, his son, and his grandson doing everything around there. Sure the prices are high, but he's really nice, and treats me accordingly. I spend more money there than I could elsewhere, but as the saying goes, he scratches my back and I scratch his.

Fair question. With the internet, "word of mouth" has grown by leaps and bounds. Not only do I now know what's good and bad from all over the world, but I can even purchase things from all over the world. If my Stihl dealer gives me zero incentive to stay with them, why should I?

My Poulan dealer is a great old guy. It's him, his son, and his grandson doing everything around there. Sure the prices are high, but he's really nice, and treats me accordingly. I spend more money there than I could elsewhere, but as the saying goes, he scratches my back and I scratch his.

Mottie I can see your point but I have to ask ya. I assume you or your wife goes to the same grocery store every week of the year and buy groceries. I'm sure too you don't expect that grocery store to give you a free hat or calendar or whatever. I bet too you never go there asking for any discounts of any kind. So tell me what the differance is. You pay for a saw and expect extras. Usually a one time sale. You buy groceries all year long and only expect the groceries. You local gorcery store owes you more incentive than your saw dealer but how come you don't feel that way toward them??

Ok motti, I see what you're saying. I guess all I can say is to not let your dealer's not ordering calendars sway you. I bet he can get you a saw right quick. Calendars may just not be high on his priority list. Maybe he's a Jesus freak and the calendars offend him. (Note: I'm Christian myself, but they don't bother me none!) Maybe he forgot to get his order in.

Now, if he gives you crap about a saw, well then yeah. But just because he's not handing out freebies don't make him bad. ;)

The grocery store thing..... we go where the groceries are cheapest/best value. THAT is the incentive for those stores to draw customers. Although, when gasoline was over $3.00/gallon here, I heard of a store chain that was saying "buy $X in groceries from us, and we'll give you $X off gasoline." But we didn't have that particular chain here in town.

For the dealer, it's almost like a hassle for them to look for replacement parts for my saws, and when I ask about prices on new ones, they are way high for what I see you guys posting. And my local dealer has never had anything promotional for Stihl. No nothing. I like free things, and I like to advertise the companies and places that are good to me.

I can buy all the shirts and stickers and stuff online, but I'm not gonna advertise a company that lets lousy dealers stay in business.

Ok motti, I see what you're saying. I guess all I can say is to not let your dealer's not ordering calendars sway you. I bet he can get you a saw right quick. Calendars may just not be high on his priority list. Maybe he's a Jesus freak and the calendars offend him. (Note: I'm Christian myself, but they don't bother me none!) Maybe he forgot to get his order in.

Now, if he gives you crap about a saw, well then yeah. But just because he's not handing out freebies don't make him bad. ;)

Fish I understand where Motti is coming from and I got no issue with his way of thinking at all. I'd give him a hat or calendar in a heartbeat. However there does seem to be a thing with alot of saw buyers wanting free extra chains and oil and this and that. Its been that way for years and most times the dealer hands out those things. Doesn't mean he has to but does so hoping the guy will come back and thats all fine and good but its not a OWE thing, its a choice thing. I'll hand out things too but there has to be sale or some reason other than give me.

I worked with a man one time who had it right. He would make it short and simple, the price is on the saw, thats what you get for that amount of money. He had as bad habit of telling people just what have you given me free. He was hardcore as hell but he was right. You spend 3.00 for a gallon of milk you don't get a free glass to drink it out of. You burn 100.00 worth of power the electric company bills you for 100.00 worth of power, you pump 50.00 worth of gas in your car you pay 50.00. I understand Motti completely and don't really know why his dealer doesn't bother with calendars and stuff like that. Its a good customer relation thing but maybe his dealer is like the man I worked with for awhile, you get what you pay for and not one thing more. Thats hardcore as hell but its also right. The rest is all by choice, not owed...

The grocery store thing..... we go where the groceries are cheapest/best value. THAT is the incentive for those stores to draw customers. Although, when gasoline was over $3.00/gallon here, I heard of a store chain that was saying "buy $X in groceries from us, and we'll give you $X off gasoline." But we didn't have that particular chain here in town.

For the dealer, it's almost like a hassle for them to look for replacement parts for my saws, and when I ask about prices on new ones, they are way high for what I see you guys posting. And my local dealer has never had anything promotional for Stihl. No nothing. I like free things, and I like to advertise the companies and places that are good to me.

I can buy all the shirts and stickers and stuff online, but I'm not gonna advertise a company that lets lousy dealers stay in business.

You say its an incentive for the grocery store to draw customers but whats in it for you, have they given you anything free lately. I was asking whats the incentive for you at the grocery store not for them. The incentive for you is that you don't starve to death which is a pretty good incentive I'd say.

Now looking at your post here your letting the cat out the bag. You say he's a lousy dealer, ok, he's a lousy dealer. That pretty well answers your own question as to why he doesn't bother with promoting anything.

We all like freebies Motti. Tell ya what. PM me your address and I see to it you get a nice free Stihl calendar. Now in return what do I get from you???I'd like a St. Louis Ram hat, go buy me one and send it to me,ok. See Motti this is what I'm talking about, its give and take, nothing more, nothing less. You have to decide is it better to give than to recieve, hmmmmmmmmm. You send me that hat and I'll tell everyone one this site Motti is a great guy, I'll promote you 100%...

Hey Thall

I don't care if I get something free at all. You don't see me beggin you for any of your free saws you get do you.
Pins, hats, calendars, and such are for public relations.
Times I think companys get carried away. It's advertisement thats all.
I laugh when I see someone wearing something like a Tommy Hillfiger t-shirt,
He should be paying you for all the advertisement.

BTW, Tom Ill stick with my tubro saws and use the rest of the money I saved over buying a Stihl to Help my family.

I don't care if I get something free at all. You don't see me beggin you for any of your free saws you get do you.
Pins, hats, calendars, and such are for public relations.
Times I think companys get carried away. It's advertisement thats all.
I laugh when I see someone wearing something like a Tommy Hillfiger t-shirt,
He should be paying you for all the advertisement.

BTW, Tom Ill stick with my tubro saws and use the rest of the money I saved over buying a Stihl to Help my family.

Good point Manual. Theres never no reason to beg nor expect. Play your cards right, act right and the freebies come easliy, its all about attitude, nothing more.

As for prices Manual if you look at list prices between Husky, J'red and Stihl you will find they are so close its not worth talking about. The big differance is Stihl doesn't let the big dogs eat the little dogs like E-lux does. The prices on E-lux vary so much between dealers and online sales its unbelieable. Sorry but cartoon logo's such as Turbo or Air Injection as a marketing ploy doesn't fool the smart buyers or justify the huge differance in price among its own sellers. Stihl has it right, the numbers this year proved it again for the 36th time in a row. E-lux will wake up one day and play fair with their own sellers and buyers.

If you got a great deal on your J'red good for you Manual, hope you saved a bunch. You come on down to Va and I'll save you a bundle too, wink!

Good point Manual. Theres never no reason to beg nor expect. Play your cards right, act right and the freebies come easliy, its all about attitude, nothing more.

As for prices Manual if you look at list prices between Husky, J'red and Stihl you will find they are so close its not worth talking about. The big differance is Stihl doesn't let the big dogs eat the little dogs like E-lux does. The prices on E-lux vary so much between dealers and online sales its unbelieable. Sorry but cartoon logo's such as Turbo or Air Injection as a marketing ploy doesn't fool the smart buyers or justify the huge differance in price among its own sellers. Stihl has it right, the numbers this year proved it again for the 36th time in a row. E-lux will wake up one day and play fair with their own sellers and buyers.

If you got a great deal on your J'red good for you Manual, hope you saved a bunch. You come on down to Va and I'll save you a bundle too, wink!

I'm sure you would Tom its all about Carma.
As for now I work with what I got.

I'm sure you would Tom its all about Carma.
As for now I work with what I got.

Don't know what you mean, Carma?

You got all the saws you need. I just told a guy that last nite, 2 saws will fit most all the needs a man has for sawing wood. Anything more is just a want, thats all.

Latest posts

Back