stihl carbs flooding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris ham

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I posted this also in the Bailey's forum wrong thread.I HAVE 4 stihl carbs for the 029 039 series saws.One new aftermarket and two I put an aftermarket kit in.Only one carb will run on both saws.The other three flood like crazy .What causes this.Also where can I get an aftermarket carb that will work.

Correct gasket-diaphragm order on metering side? (gasket on body, diaphragm on gasket, cover on diaphragm...) Reversing the gasket and diaphragm will caue the inlet needle to stay slightly open in "closed" position.

A leaking (deteriorated) inlet needle will do the same...

About 12 bucks for the new carb about 3 bucks for kits.The diaphragm and gasket order is correct.

am I wrong that a walbro carb is the same whether you buy it from a stihl dealer or online.There is about an giant difference in price.I assume it is flooding.Compression good,no leaks,has fire to the plug but when you spray mixed fuel in the carb nothing happens and plug is wet.

I will have to wait until my boy shows up to post a picture.I do not know how.The local stihl dealer told me/forestry supply in Andalusia Alabama/47.50 plus tax for hd21 which is for the USA only model and 95 plus tax for the hd19.What is the difference.I thought the 029 and 039 used the same carbs also.They also will have to be ordered as they are not in stock.

I would call a dealer in the next county, see what their price is.

Here is the prices for the Ohio region.

1127 120 0604 CARBURETOR HD18A 32.99

1127 120 0605 CARBURETOR HD21A 32.99

1127 120 0650 CARBURETOR HD19A 67.99

Why don't you buy a good carb from a Stihl dealer?
Probly cuz he dislikes taking it in the butt. I recognize that there are lots of good dealers out there, but most of us have to deal with crappy dealers, and stihls policies regarding parts sales set it up perfectly for dealers to charge whatever they want. The dealer closest to me wanted $28 for a stens 028 air filter. No thanks. Also tried to sell me a USED metering lever spring (for a ms290 carb coincidentally) for “list” price. Needless to say i dont spend money there anymore.

Back