Stihl chain keeps coming loose

• Thread starter Deleted member 168049
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK couldn't see the pics. but at least it's a 3/8P bar. the cutters on the chain look blued from high-temp. without seeing the rest of the saw, hard to see why there was bar stud wear

The bar and chain has only been on for 5 minutes..... why is the bar and drive links look like the were drug through black sludge. What is going on with new bar having circle wear from a nut?
It isnt black sludge at all, the chain links are black and thats what i assume is the paint rubbing off

The bar stud being pulled out of the case is from the urge to way overtighten everything, because the chain keeps coming loose. Also damages bar tensioners the same way.
There weren't many threads when I had the saw, just didn't realise until it was too late. It was purchased as not working so makes sense

Yes, the sprocket is worn, but I have seen worse. The 'second hand' part is what catches my attention.

It looks like the sprocket, chain, and bar are all 3/8 low profile ' 'Picco'. But it looks to be a less expensive chain? If so, it might be susceptible to 'chain stretch' when new.

If I was there, I would also want to see how the bar seats against the body of the saw and against the clutch / side cover: a poor fit means that it might slip. Might be missing a small part there?

Philbert

Yes, the sprocket is worn, but I have seen worse. The 'second hand' part is what catches my attention.

It looks like the sprocket, chain, and bar are all 3/8 low profile ' 'Picco'. But it looks to be a less expensive chain? If so, it might be susceptible to 'chain stretch' when new.

If I was there, I would also want to see how the bar seats against the body of the saw and against the clutch / side cover: a poor fit means that it might slip. Might be missing a small part there?

Philbert
The side cover part of your message is interesting, I couldn't get it to sit less than half an inch from the saw, it was by no means flush at all, which i assume is the stud wear meaning it won't seat properly and tighten, pulling the side cover towards the saw.

I bought the saw 2nd hand, as spares or repair, just because it was cheap and I was bored over the summer. Only now am I learning the sheer volume of abuse this seems to have taken

The side cover part of your message is interesting, I couldn't get it to sit less than half an inch from the saw, it was by no means flush at all, . . .
You never know.

Post the model number and some photos of where the guide bar seats, on both the saw body, and the side cover. Some guys here might be able to spot something, or compare it to the IPL (Illustrated Parts List). Might just be missing a part, the wrong side cover, etc. Used parts are often available too.

Philbert

I think the wrong stud was put in to replace a striped one. The shoulder is wrong and it won't fit. Small mount bar, large mount stud. Mike
The one in there looks to be a 6mm stud, with a washer/spacer then the nut. I've ordered an 8mm hoping it'll self tap some new threads, i should really look at a diagram and see what should be there

Although this is not your exact model of saw it uses the same bar I think. It shows the proper placement of the studs when they are placed into the case. See how the shoulder is recessed into the case so that the bar can sit flush against the case?
View attachment 828729
Oh well that is interesting, it won't surprise you to hear that the stud, washer and nut were all jammed together into the side cover, ive had to hammer them out of the cover and undo them in a vice

I see the issue now, that metal 'washer' for the lack of a better word, was basically welded to the stud, which barely stays in the main body of the saw. They are both now out of the saw, I'm going to put in a bigger 8mm stud, hope it self taps, then put the washer back into the side housing and HOPE it works. Any clues?

Latest posts

Back