Stihl chain RS or RSC which is better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up some stihl 33RS chain for a decent price at a small shop. Just wanted to know which is a faster cutter in clean wood. The RS or RSC. Not worried about vibration damping that the rsc talks about on the stihl site. Is this chain considered Full chisel round? I just want the fastest cutter in clean wood.
th4.gif

I haven't run RSC yet, but I believe those who have, and have posted their results on here, didn't note much difference between RS and RSC. The differences in the cutter and raker are very small.

Both are fast cutting, round filed/ground chisel chain.

Buy whichever, it doesn't sound like it will make a noticeable difference between one or the other.

I have a roll of RS and a couple loops of RSC that I picked up a week before getting the roll. Running them side by side on identical saws with identical bars, I can't tell a difference in cutting speed. I think the RSC is a little smoother. I cannot identify one from the other by looking at the chain, only by the number stamped on the drivers.

Ok, Thanks for the info. Now how does the Oregon 72LG compare to the two stihl chains listed above. I know the oregon is listed here as softer, but how is the cutting of the 72LG compared to them RS and RCS chains?
signs069.gif

Mostly depends on how you sharpen it. I'd suggest buying a loop of each and seeing how it works for you. Not just when it's new but also how it cuts for you after you've sharpened it halfway down.

skwerl said:
Mostly depends on how you sharpen it. I'd suggest buying a loop of each and seeing how it works for you. Not just when it's new but also how it cuts for you after you've sharpened it halfway down.
Well that being said, All my hand sharpens cut like
sign0187.gif
. Thats why I was wondering about new cutting. Once I have ruined it enough with my hand filing touch ups, I take them in and get them machined sharpened by my local sharpener.

I used to run the Oregon 73 (same as 72, but 058 gauge). The RS is, to me, is a night a day difference. Both out of the box and after a few sharpenings. The Stihl chain is a 30 degree cutter, whereas the oregon is a 25. I don't care what people say about the steel being the same hardness, or whatever. The stihl chain holds an edge much longer, even in dirtier wood than the oregon. I haven't run the RSC yet, for comparisons.

skwerl said:
.... I cannot identify one from the other by looking at the chain, only by the number stamped on the drivers.
Try to look (hard) at the heels of the cutters and tie straps when they are tight on a bar, and I think you will notice the difference - it is very small though.

Back