Stihl chain type Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been lurking, searching, and doing lots of reading and just can't find the answer to what will probably be a softball for you experts! Sorry if maybe I didn't search the correct terms or something, my flame suit is on and I'm ready to be edumacated.

So I'm now a wood burner and consequently use my chainsaws alot more than I used to. Been using the stihl 018c a lot because it's light and despite 14" bar does most everything I want it to....I like it a lot.

When I order a new chain they give me a green safety chain, but I would like to try something more aggressive. Been using more aggressive stuff on Huskys by way of fathers neighbor who's a husky guy and gives them to us cause he buys in bulk, so I have no real knowledge other than "here, this is way better than what they sell at the stores, use this."

So the 'stock' chain is a 3/8 (extended?) ppm3 picco chain, 50 links, 0.043 gauge, 61ppm3 50 for 14" bar. First Q, can I put anything better on this bar or am I stuck with this chain? I've read in threads that running non picco chain is not advisable for such a small displacement saw. I can't even find a good explanation of the difference or exactly what a picco 3/8 extended chain is??!! Any good threads or websites that I could do some reading on to tell me the differences here?? I'd like to run a little more agressive chain, hopefully on the same bar? I enjoy bucking 20"+ oak with this small saw....it's fun!! Maybe I'm weird.

Second, and a Q that follows the first, I understand (or I think I understand) that the chain I'm running is a semi-chisel, safety chain. Is there somewhere I can see photo comparisons of chisel, semi-chisel, and whatever else is somewhat common next to each other and then with the safety and non-safety side by side as well?? I understand the safety has something to do with the bumpers before the cutters, but I am interested in the technical details.

Thanx for reading my long post and thanx in advance for any advice, I appreciate it!

Your saw basically is running the 3/8 lo/pro lite chain, you can get the version without the safety bumper links, but nothing really more aggressive than that. If you ever need to switch bars, you might opt for the .050 ga. bar/chain, it will hold up better.

cutter types are in my sig line.

you have an .043" bar. If you switch to an .050" bar like Fish says you have some more options. I would recommend Oregon 91VXL

Check out Bailey's. They often have some dirt cheap bars for small saws.

3/8" x .043 is really limited in chain choices. Its meant for the small displacement, low HP saws that are generally used for limbing and trimming. As has been mentioned, switching the bar out for a 3/8 x .050" and running the Oregon 91vx or 91vxl will give it more bite.

Blocking 20" oak with that little saw isn't doing the saw any favors. I would suggest that you step up to a 50cc minimum before you kill that 018. An 026/260/261 would be a serious upgrade in power without a lot of extra weight. A MMed 026 can be surprisingly strong.:chainsaw:

+ there are no really good chains for it, at least not that I know of....

Hell, I set up a guy with a ms180 with an old .050 ga. hardnose bar and a loop of the Oregon 91vxl and he is thrilled chitless with it!!!!

He'll never buy another bar, and his chain lasts a long time..........

3/8" x .043 is really limited in chain choices. Its meant for the small displacement, low HP saws that are generally used for limbing and trimming. As has been mentioned, switching the bar out for a 3/8 x .050" and running the Oregon 91vx or 91vxl will give it more bite.

Blocking 20" oak with that little saw isn't doing the saw any favors. I would suggest that you step up to a 50cc minimum before you kill that 018. An 026/260/261 would be a serious upgrade in power without a lot of extra weight. A MMed 026 can be surprisingly strong.:chainsaw:

If i'm blocking down wood 20" i'm not using a small saw period, not even a 346 and most likely a 372

Dealers around here can no longer get PM chain only PM3

Interesting. I looked at Stihl's public site and they don't have PMC anymore. Only PM3. Figured it's for promoting safety. But all the PMC chains are still available to us. This is stupid if they're all 3's now.

Interesting. I looked at Stihl's public site and they don't have PMC anymore. Only PM3. Figured it's for promoting safety. But all the PMC chains are still available to us. This is stupid if they're all 3's now.

Yeah i meant PMC but all they stock now is the 3 the PS3 is ok i just like the PMC better. You get a few idiots that are clueless and cut body parts off with yellow chain so we all have to use green chain. But my logic says if you can't use yellow chain safely then you can't use the green safely either.

They used the news of the first chisel chain in Picco to "conseal" that they dropped any "yellow" Picco chain (PMC by then) - just like "someone" indicated almost two years ago (nobody else wanted to believe it then)....:givebeer:

Thanx for all the replies everyone. I think that I may toss a 050 bar on there and that Oregon chain that was recommended and see how that runs. But what about a picco chain is different from anything else?? Is picco just 043 gauge?

Also, with the safety chain, is the difference just that the link prior to the cutter has a bump on the opposite side that matches up with the bumper/depth guide on the cutting tooth?? Is that it?? Is that what makes a safety chain or not?

How would I kill the saw if the carb is adjusted properly? Running it too hard for too long?? It likes it!! Bars, chains, and spurs don't last forever, I know!! I have a 141 that is down for repairs (I know, not much bigger, but a little bit) and a 445 that is out on loan and has a problem with getting back to me!! As a result I've been borrowing my FILs 025 and would love to get myself another stihl in the 50cc range once funds allow, thinking 270 or 290 may fit the bill. I find the stihls quite sexy for some odd reason, not that the huskys aren't good too??? Also been looking into the possibility of maybe running a pp5020av, although I'm sure to catch hell from some family and friends.

Again, thanx for the helpful info.

Thanx!! Now, what makes the chain low profile?? does it no rise up off the bar as high?? Are the cutters shorter in length??

Cutters are smaller. Narrower, lower, shorter. I can take a photo of 3/8lp, ,325 and 3/8 together if ya want to see the difference in size :)

Back