Stihl Chain vs. Oregon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With regular chain in .325 and 3/8" (not NK or Lo-pro) there is one more advantage that always is present with Oregon over Stihl, in .058 and .050 - that is the fact that the upper part of the drivers are .058 on Oregon vs. .063 on Stihl. This has an impact on the kerf width, and then basically on the cutting speed as well.

Of course there are several other factors that has an impact on kerf width and cutting speed as well, so this is just one part of the "puzzle".

Stihl chain is the best there is for 3/8. Woodland Pro Carlton is almost as good. Oregon is a distant third at least for reg 3/8 chisel because its too soft. I am waiting to receive an order with some semi chisel 3/8 low pro 91VXL and I will do a comparison with Stihl and WP lo pro.
De pendant on the saw used & if Blount have not fixed a problem they know about, you may get a " Chatter" from the 91VXL if used straight from the box

Just ordered a four pack of Oregon 72lgx72 off of eBay....came out to $13.75 a chain.
Left Coast Supply had special deal Oregon full chisel LGX $10 for 72 dl and $12 for 84 dl w free shipping. I stocked up. Even had a 114 dl for 36" spun and they included it with the other chains for free shipping. Great to deal with!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Left Coast Supply had special deal Oregon full chisel LGX $10 for 72 dl and $12 for 84 dl w free shipping. I stocked up. Even had a 114 dl for 36" spun and they included it with the other chains for free shipping. Great to deal with!

I really prefer Stihl RM semi chisel and get it decently priced at old time dealer spins loops and always has big supply in stock. The Oregon was too good to pass up. I run change out chains and then sharpen all after dark. Clean saws then too.

De pendant on the saw used & if Blount have not fixed a problem they know about, you may get a " Chatter" from the 91VXL if used straight from the box

I've only noticed this chatter with VXL when cutting small branches...it wouldn't be my first choice when limbing for sure. I would much rather have Stihl PS or PS3.

That was a killer deal...I saw it a bit too late. LCS is a great source for bars and chains!

With regular chain in .325 and 3/8" (not NK or Lo-pro) there is one more advantage that always is present with Oregon over Stihl, in .058 and .050 - that is the fact that the upper part of the drivers are .058 on Oregon vs. .063 on Stihl. QUOTE]

I actually see this as a draw back. I like the .325 chain because its has a thinner kerf letting me get more speed in the cut. I run it on my 026 and 036 both. With the .062 drivers, I believe it makes for a more durable chain on the 036. I'm not sure there is a difference in the kerf between a .058 and .062 drivers, but I've never looked either...

I actually see this as a draw back. I like the .325 chain because its has a thinner kerf letting me get more speed in the cut. I run it on my 026 and 036 both. With the .062 drivers, I believe it makes for a more durable chain on the 036. I'm not sure there is a difference in the kerf between a .058 and .062 drivers, but I've never looked either...

There is no difference in the kerf with Stihl .058 vs. .063 - but there is with Oregon.

Also, there is no advantage by using .050 with either brand - with Stihl it cuts the same kerf as .063, and with Oregon the same as .058. Only the drive tangs that go down into the bar is different, not the upper part of the drivers (that has an impact on the kerf)

I really prefer Stihl RM semi chisel and get it decently priced at old time dealer spins loops and always has big supply in stock. The Oregon was too good to pass up. I run change out chains and then sharpen all after dark. Clean saws then too.

I prefer Stihl RM too, but at that price I'll use Oregon.

If I hit something in log not a biggie. But when I found a fence post with brand new 36"...a few cuss words

Latest posts

Back