Stihl chains RSK and RSC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
Got a question for the stihl guys in the know of their chains. I have always tried to use RS when I can get it in 3/8. Well now that i cant find much of it left in the world. I have tried RSK and RSC. What is the difference of this RSK round chisel stuff. It seems really aggressive for my stock 49cc's to pull for some reason.

I wanted to try some of that RSK, but my dealer doesnt stock it. Not sure what the differences are between it and RS, but the Stihl site says the RSK is best suited for bars over 28".

Remember when Coca-Cola changed their formula, and everyone went nuts, and then they came out with Coca-Cola Classic?
RS was changed, the main difference being that the front of the cutter got a wavy profile that increased the ramp of the depth gauge, making it a more reduced kick back style of chain. Then everybody went nuts, so STIHL came out with RSK, the K stands for "Klassic". So RSK has the straight front like RS had years ago. So it may create more kick back energy in a kick back event, but it also cuts a little more aggressively than the newer RS, although both are considered yellow family chains, meaning not reduced kick back chains. Green family, such as PMN, PM1, RM2, and RSC3, are considered reduced kick back chains, and I prefer them for that reason. They really are not that much slower than any other style of chain, if kept sharp and with the correct depth gauge.
RSC is the newer style RS with the comfort feature, which reduces vibration. It works well, as I have cut with RM2 (green reduced kick back chain), RS and RSC one right after the other, and RS is a little, not much, faster than RM2, and RSC is about as fast as RS, but much smoother. I have not done this timed test with RSK, though. But as you have noticed, RS is being replaced by RSC, but RSK should still be available.
RM2 is being replaced by RSC3, and I am a little sad to see the RM2 go, since it is a semi-chisel cutter, and doesn't get as dull as fast as RSC3 will.

I think that RSK has a different, older style raker, but maybe there're some other differences as well.

/klas

That's right, the RSK raker is much narrower, and it is a real "non-safety" chain - about like the Oregon LP, but without the small ramps in front of the rakers.

The wide "bullet-type" rakers of the RS, LG, RSC, RM etc was originally a "reduced kick-back" feature also, but most people seem to have forgotten that......

I just ran a loop of RSC on the stock 361 with a muffler mod and adjusted the carb to my likings. I was impressed with both, I will run some timed cuts in the future with the RS, RSC and RSK on this saw in the near future with my cam so I can time the cuts. The RSC was smooth in the cut also.
I do know i am pulling the RSK off the stock 49cc saws. Maybe I will try all 3 chains on that size saw too for comparisons.

CF, I am getting RSK in 16" 60 DL 3/8. for trial purposes.

Rsk

I have 6-7 loops of RSK and RSC both. RSK takes a wider kerf when new compared to RSC. RSK removes chips better on longer bars than RSC. I think that RSC cuts faster than RSK when new. But as the cutter gets filed back RSK starts cutting faster. When both chains are half filed back they cut just as fast. They also takes the same size kerf at this time. I prefer RSC over RSK, just because when new it is just a little slower than RSC, and RSC is much smoother in the cut. Even though RSK dosen't have the ramped depth gauge it bores very well. It dosen't have that much more vibration in the cut than RSC, but it is noticeable. But RSC and RSK both are very impressive chains. If you square file RSK it becomes RSLK, because RSLK is just a square filed version of RSK.:D

Thanks for the info 440.
I am running full comp RSLK on my 084 already. Alot better cutting then CL out of the box when new.

RM2 is being replaced by RSC3, and I am a little sad to see the RM2 go, since it is a semi-chisel cutter, and doesn't get as dull as fast as RSC3 will.

I wouldn't be surprised if a chain called RMC3 is somewhere in the not-too-far future, to really replace the RM2.

I wouldn't be surprised if a chain called RMC3 is somewhere in the not-too-far future, to really replace the RM2.

I will probaby never use any of those chain models.........:biggrinbounce2:

Back