Stihl chains snapped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you fuss a the dealer? I just wanted to see the other side....

And you will. As soon as I get home, find a beer, let the dogs out, and start a fire. In that order.

Never did say anything to the dealer. Never crossed my mind actually. I just filed it under **** happens, and was greatfull for a well designed chain catch.

Yeah, the part of the link that is broke looks brittle, and yes, Stihl would wish to know about it. This industry here is quite dangerous enough, without bad
chain flailing about, and the company involved finding out about it 3 years later on an internet forum. They pretty much are told not to visibly dabble online, as a rule....

Yeah, the part of the link that is broke looks brittle, and yes, Stihl would wish to know about it. This industry here is quite dangerous enough, without bad
chain flailing about, and the company involved finding out about it 3 years later on an internet forum. They pretty much are told not to visibly dabble online, as a rule....
Yeah, I understand that now, a lot better then I did back then. Been thinking about the time frame some. I'm thinking this might be closer to 4-5 years. shop I bought it from closed up, mentioned it to the shop I started using, and they kinda shrugged it off like an "it happens" sort of thing. Not overly impressed with the next closest couple stihl shops, not real personable. So much so, I'm seriously considering a brand change.

For any brand, they make it hard on the dealer to say anything. The first year I opened my shop in the early 1990s, Lowes sent a customer my way, they sold the pushmower, and I was the closest "sap" to register as a Briggs dealer. The first time the guy mowed with it in spring, he pushed the mower
into a big clump of grass, and the crank broke. He brought the blade/shaft in, and there was not even the slightest "ding" in/on the blade, but the shaft was ripped in two.
I called Briggs several times, they kept up with the "hit a stump" diagnosis, and said that as a "Servicing Dealer", that I had to make the repair for the customer, then file the warranty claim, and I would hear back from them in 60 days to see if it would be covered.

So my warranty experience always has left a bad taste in my mouth......

For any brand, they make it hard on the dealer to say anything. The first year I opened my shop in the early 1990s, Lowes sent a customer my way, they sold the pushmower, and I was the closest "sap" to register as a Briggs dealer. The first time the guy mowed with it in spring, he pushed the mower
into a big clump of grass, and the crank broke. He brought the blade/shaft in, and there was not even the slightest "ding" in/on the blade, but the shaft was ripped in two.
I called Briggs several times, they kept up with the "hit a stump" diagnosis, and said that as a "Servicing Dealer", that I had to make the repair for the customer, then file the warranty claim, and I would hear back from them in 60 days to see if it would be covered.

So my warranty experience always has left a bad taste in my mouth......
OK, so here's some better pictures. Like I said earlier, this probably dates 3-4ish years back. 28" stihl RS 3/8 .050 on a ms460. Saw was fully buried in oak at the time of the failure.

Our dealers aren't the worse up here, they've always kept me running. They have all just left a bad taste in my mouth at one time or another. The dealer I started out using that closed up was very personable, and would tell you how it was, because he was the one in the back doing the work too. Think I found a good Husqvarna dealer, going to give them a try. Loving my Wicked work saw 562 so far, still running Stihl chain.

OK, so here's some better pictures. Like I said earlier, this probably dates 3-4ish years back. 28" stihl RS 3/8 .050 on a ms460. Saw was fully buried in oak at the time of the failure.

Our dealers aren't the worse up here, they've always kept me running. They have all just left a bad taste in my mouth at one time or another. The dealer I started out using that closed up was very personable, and would tell you how it was, because he was the one in the back doing the work too. Think I found a good Husqvarna dealer, going to give them a try. Loving my Wicked work saw 562 so far, still running Stihl chain.

Looks kind of dull in the first photo and in the second it looks like you may have hit something . I'm kind of leaning toward crap happens over a defect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks kind of dull in the first photo and in the second it looks like you may have hit something . I'm kind of leaning toward crap happens over a defect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally agree. That tooth is hammered.

I had a bunch of .325/ .063 chains get broken by three different customers. I replaced them, no questions asked. All of them were back within days with broken chains again. This time I asked them all to bring in their saws so I could look at them free of charge. ALL had completely worn out spur drive sprockets. Once replaced, no more broken chains. For some reason, spur sprockets seem to be worse about this than rim sprockets.

I was just going to mention that too.

I cut wood at -20*, never broke a chain. Did break a wing clean off my processor's splitter the other day though!

Cityboy, what did you hit with that tooth? I can't figure out how it would look like that unless a rock or some metal was hit....... Or you ground it severely.....

JC

Cityboy, what did you hit with that tooth? I can't figure out how it would look like that unless a rock or some metal was hit....... Or you ground it severely.....

JC

No clue. Threw a new chain on the next day, continued the cut and inspected the log, and found nothing. It was cutting strong up until the break. I was thinking metal at the time it happened. Was still mid cut, so nowhere near the ground.

Any chance of a good tight shots of the gullet? From top and both sides.
And maybe the cutters & gullets of the teeth (same side/cutter) in front and back of the broken one.

Latest posts

Back