Stihl Chains????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It seems stihl chains are much more expensive than regular chains in the big saw category. I admit it is a small reason why I did not buy a stihl. I was wondering if maybe those chains are that much better than the other brands? Do they hold their edge longer and can you get more sharpenings which would make them last longer and justifying the extra cost?

Pnw thing can buy Stihl rolls for about same price as Oregan chain, Lots a buy one loop second one free out here and Stihl chain is better so I dont mind paying a little extra any way.

It's worth the verbal abuse and jeering from my local dealer when I buy Stihl Chain for the Husky, and the extra buck or two.

Savings on files alone is worth the cost difference.

Shop around.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Pnw thing can buy Stihl rolls for about same price as Oregan chain, Lots a buy one loop second one free out here and Stihl chain is better so I dont mind paying a little extra any way.

+1. I would pay extra for Stihl if I had to (but luckily I don't). I bought three spools this year.

Oregon is a little quicker to file, but since I grind (square) I prefer what I feel is Stihl's more durable edge.

Last edited:
Yes out of a box, between stihl and oregon chain, normal 3/8 stuff I mean, brand new the stihl chain holds it's edge for a reasonable while, mind you the drags are too high if your saw's got any sort of power, no after they've both been sharpened a few times, not much difference between either then

Yes out of a box, between stihl and oregon chain, normal 3/8 stuff I mean, brand new the stihl chain holds it's edge for a reasonable while, mind you the drags are too high if your saw's got any sort of power, no after they've both been sharpened a few times, not much difference between either then

Oregons have also come with too high rakers some times - I guess you always have too check that on new chains, regardless of brand.

Stihl chain have thicker chrome, and hold the edge a bit better trough the life of the chain ime, not only when new.

Anyone know of a good place online that sells stihl chain?Most of our local dealers only carry Oregon chain, the one place that carries stihl wants 35bucks for a 24inch loop of 3/8.Beyond my budget when I can get oregon for 18 bucks a loop.

Anyone know of a good place online that sells stihl chain?Most of our local dealers only carry Oregon chain, the one place that carries stihl wants 35bucks for a 24inch loop of 3/8.Beyond my budget when I can get oregon for 18 bucks a loop.

I've found some very good deals on Stihl chain on Ebay of all places.

Do a little shopping...there are a few shops in my area that sell that 25" RSC for $16.

Like most have said, it is good stuff and worth a few more skins. I am a little surprised at your local price. Didn't think the cost of living was that bad in TN??

I would shop around and see what you can find or ask him for his best price on 3 or 4 at a time??

I know I sell Stihl chain for less than Home Depot sells some crap with no name that's made in China, but there are mail order outfits I can't compete with. Just glad they don't have Stihl chain! With freight, I'm close enough.

I bought 2 24" RSC on ebay for $18 plus $10 ship. What a :censored: on the shipping but the local stihl dealer with the same 2 chain deal the price would of been $50 for sure

Brian

Latest posts

Back