Stihl Chains????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100 ft. roll of RSC. and make 20 + chains for 20" bars for about $15.each. Dealer charges $24. each.
Pioneerguy600

BUT, you have to have the tools (spinner, and breaker - $100 for a basic bench set at Bailey's), or access to the tools, and the need for 20+ chains. I got the feeling from the start of this thread that he was maybe looking for a few fewer chains.

"i Bought 30 20'' loops from a stihl carvrer at a show for 5.00 bucks each. . "
". . a local Natural Resources District sells single use, used, never sharpened 3/8" Stihl RSC chain in 18" loops for $5 each in quantity. "

I have always been a scrounger. If you can file or grind a chain, and are willing to take the time, you can salvage a lot of chains for little $$$. If you have the spinner and breaker, you can salvage even more.

Philbert

Thanks for the information. I understand a lot more about chains.
The last few posts really cleared it up.

If I had read this post I could have saved myself a lot of money. I could have bought a stihl chain for my wildthing and had no reason to upgrade to a bigger saw. :hmm3grin2orange:

I guess I was confused because stihl bars only fit stihl saws. I guess I assumed the same about the chains.

I think I am going to try a stihl chain. :cheers:

It can be confusing, because all Stihl bars do not fit all Stihl saws, etc. Some parts (bars, chains, sprockets, etc.) will fit different brands of saw.

Don't know how much you like to read, but if you want to learn more than you will ever need to know about chains, you can check out the following, free publications:

On the Stihl website (http://www.stihlusa.com/):
"Sharp Advice - A Guide to Saw Chain Maintenance"

And on the Oregon website
(http://www.oregonchain.com/index.htm):
"The Oregon Maintenance & Safety Manual)"

They are both good and have been posted on this forum a number of times.

Philbert

Try Oregon's new LGX chain

I recently compared Stihl 33RSC to Oregon 73LGX in some really dead hard Oak. They were both hand filed (not brand new) and the held their edge about the same. I like RS/RSC but LGX is readily available online and has been less expensive so far.

....., but I believe you can buy Stihl chain in just about any gauge. Probably the premade loops are only available in the lengths that would fit Stihl bars on Stihl saws.

You are right - premade loops in other dl counts are special order, unless the dealer spins them himself (not usual here as most users just use the "standard" 13 and 15" loops).

Last edited:
not trying to threadjack but i have 2 nos 16'' stihl picco chains that i dont need but i need a 3/8 .050 24'' chain pm me for offers

Latest posts

Back