Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After all these years, I finally got hold of a Contra S....still missing some parts though, such as the metal jug cover, and a lot of work to be done.
But the hart looks good, and that dang jug and piston is huge !!! Can't wait to get this thing running soon.

I could use some advice how to proceed with fixing the jug, because one muffler "ear" is broken and gone. Any tips on how to repair this ? should I go for TIG welding ?
Here's a pic

attachment.php

Not sure how cast aluminum welds.. If you have the ear you could have it welded back on. If not you may be able to have the entire ear rebuilt, tapped and a new stud installed.

There would not be a lot of load on the ear, even though the muffler is probably heavy (being cast itself). I think some have a strut supporting the muffler as well correct?

dw

TIG welding and some damn experienced hands would be the only solution. The cast is "set" after the years, the new-added material must somehow closely copy the original shapes and measures, while working slowly and keeping the jug as cool as possible.
It shall not be a "blop", which will be shaped afterwards. If so, it can lead into slight warpage after warming up (and piston squeezing), with all the damage induced. Probably even a crack. The -S jugs are somehow ultimate about inner volume vs. outer dimensions and heat dissipation area (or heat flow per area), so it´s a bit delicate.
Good luck

After all these years, I finally got hold of a Contra S....still missing some parts though, such as the metal jug cover, and a lot of work to be done.
But the hart looks good, and that dang jug and piston is huge !!! Can't wait to get this thing running soon.

I could use some advice how to proceed with fixing the jug, because one muffler "ear" is broken and gone. Any tips on how to repair this ? should I go for TIG welding ?
Here's a pic

attachment.php

Congratulations on the Contra S. Best of luck finding those missing parts - the cylinder cover will be a tough one - especially for the S.
The exhaust flange can be rebuilt using the TIG method. It is a straightforward job, and the profile can be completed by filing and final finish with an oil stone to ensure the mounting surface is true. Once the parent material has been replaced, drill and tap a new thread, fit a threaded insert, and replace the stud.

Regards,

Chris.

The welding went very well....was able to built up a good base and drilled and tapped a new thread ; easypiecy with TIG....

here she is : sweet runner but quite a shaker ! I have the red bonnet but am missing only the metal sheet jug cover. have anyone made on himself or converted the contra cover to fit the S ?

attachment.php

Contra S tin bonnet

When you are looking for one it should have a brown piece of asbestos (I think it is asbestos) riveted to the front where it comes closest to the muffler. At least every one I've seen has that.

Contra Exhaust

Gents.

I'm looking for a Contra/Lightning exhaust with the lower mount like a 070/090, I have several early Contra exhausts to trade/swap.
The saw i need the exhaust for has serial # 1101942, so i think it's a later model Contra.

Gents.

I'm looking for a Contra/Lightning exhaust with the lower mount like a 070/090, I have several early Contra exhausts to trade/swap.
The saw i need the exhaust for has serial # 1101942, so i think it's a later model Contra.
Hi
Could you take it to a welder and have them build up the aluminum in the corner and then tap some threads in it?
Thomas

I looked up this old thread to garner some more ideas and info for when I tear into the Stihl Contra S that has made its way to me. It needs a total going over and if I can find a shroud and top cover it might even get some run time put on it.

Looks like a keeper Jerry. You going to do a full restore with pics! I sure hope so!

I am going to keep it and clean it up first, pull it down and clean the P&C even though there is no carbon in the port or muffler. The rings are free and making very strong compression. If I can find the parts needed I will do a full bore restore with a thread and picts. This is a very solid saw with very low hours on it but it has sat around for a very long time, cleanup is mandatory and then a run is needed.

Nice saw!! Could you tell me what model carb your S is running?.......HL??? Does it have a six shoe clutch?
The repoduction red tops available on ebay are quite a good.

The carb is a Tillotson HL, I have not pulled it off just yet so the model no I don`t have as yet. It has the 3 shoe clutch that the early Contra`s had.
I have yet to see any tops for the Contra`s on eBay lately. I did see one NOS one at least a year ago listed on eBay over in Germany. I really could use a link to finding Germany eBay as all my searches so far has come up empty.

The carb is a Tillotson HL, I have not pulled it off just yet so the model no I don`t have as yet. It has the 3 shoe clutch that the early Contra`s had.
I have yet to see any tops for the Contra`s on eBay lately. I did see one NOS one at least a year ago listed on eBay over in Germany. I really could use a link to finding Germany eBay as all my searches so far has come up empty.

eBay Germany website: eBay.de

All of them right there

Back